Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1937 Lincoln Cent. MDD. Which type? MDD, PDD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1937 Lincoln Cent. MDD. Which type? MDD, PDD?

1937 Lincoln cent, machine doubling? Which type of doubling? Many types of doubling, trying to type each.
    Attached Files

this is a coin that would go into the variety section.

off center, broadstruck, tilted collar etc are errors,

ddo, rpm, mpd etc are varieties.

what does "trying to type each" mean. i seen you post that more than once.

have you looked over the listings? - http://varietyvista.com/01a%20LC%20D...DDO%201937.htm
    coinfacts.com - conecaonline.info - board.conecaonline.org/forum/numismatic-site-links - briansvarietycoins.com - coppercoins.com - cuds-on-coins.com - doubleddie.com - error-ref.com - franklinlover.yolasite.com - ikegroup.info -lincolncentresource.com - maddieclashes.com - money.org - ngccoin.com/price-guide/world - ngccoin.com/census - ngccoin.com/resources/counterfeit-detection - nnp.wustl.edu - pcgs.com/pop - varietyvista.com

Comment

Originally posted by occnumis2021 View Post
      this is a coin that would go into the variety section.

off center, broadstruck, tilted collar etc are errors,

ddo, rpm, mpd etc are varieties.

what does "trying to type each" mean. i seen you post that more than once.

have you looked over the listings? - http://varietyvista.com/01a%20LC%20D...DDO%201937.htm
      I have found on this site that machine doubling can fall into many categories. Push, pull, collar, rotated, tilted, etc. Just overthinking again. Which kind of doubling. lol

Can you put in varieties for me or should I start over?

Comment

Originally posted by John J View Post

I have found on this site that machine doubling can fall into many categories. Push, pull, collar, rotated, tilted, etc. Just overthinking again. Which kind of doubling. lol

Can you put in varieties for me or should I start over?
        no need to start over. i'm not a mod here so i can't move it.

you are right to think about the types of MD though. it helps to understand the minting process a bit more which is usually a good thing.

sometimes you can tell a coin has some ejection doubling (MD) because it almost sheers off a MM or Date, Device etc but then you can tell some are just die bounce because the thing mentinoed above get "smooshed."

i was thinking about the error vs variety designation a bit more today mostly because of how many time around here people seem to not understand the difference, which made me think a bit.

with a die variety, it is just that, something that has happened to the hub/dies that manifests onto the coin and more or less should be on every coin that is struck, even if it wears out a bit and sometimes even after having been severely abraded.

an error happens from when a coin is struck, not something that has happned to the die, more or less. there MAY be some rare exceptions i'm not thinking of.

coinfacts.com - conecaonline.info - board.conecaonline.org/forum/numismatic-site-links - briansvarietycoins.com - coppercoins.com - cuds-on-coins.com - doubleddie.com - error-ref.com - franklinlover.yolasite.com - ikegroup.info -lincolncentresource.com - maddieclashes.com - money.org - ngccoin.com/price-guide/world - ngccoin.com/census - ngccoin.com/resources/counterfeit-detection - nnp.wustl.edu - pcgs.com/pop - varietyvista.com

Comment

[QUOTE=John J;n111379]1937 Lincoln cent, machine doubling? Which type of doubling? Many types of doubling, trying to type each.[/QUOT

I think the ultimate goal is to identify that it is worthless doubling. Going that extra mile in my opinion, is not necessary. In the end what ever type of worthless doubling it is, the results are the same.
          Gary Kozera

Comment

[QUOTE=MintErrors;n111434]
            Originally posted by John J View Post
            1937 Lincoln cent, machine doubling? Which type of doubling? Many types of doubling, trying to type each.[/QUOT

I think the ultimate goal is to identify that it is worthless doubling. Going that extra mile in my opinion, is not necessary. In the end what ever type of worthless doubling it is, the results are the same.
            i agree. i thought about saying that but i feel i come off too harsh or at least appear to from words on a screen.

Comment

The thing is about all of the different types of worthless doubling is, many are unique to the situation that made it occur. I personally never had the desire to break down what each one looks like. I am just extremely happy to be able to recognize the difference. There are many people who struggle when looking at a coin, trying to distinguish if it is a ddo or worthless doubling.

All I want to offer here is be careful to not confuse the different categories of a doubled die with machine doubling. They are totally different beasts. The website https://error-ref.com under completed entries should have some additional examples, definitions and photos of the types of worthless doubling.

My hat is off to the original poster should they want to pursue the art of identifying the coin(s) down to a specific type of worthless doubling. It is educational and that is all that counts.Every collector has their niche and flair within the hobby and its their way to enjoy it. Have fun with it and good luck.

Happy hunting
              Gary Kozera

Comment

Working...
              X