Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jefferson 5 cent massive split

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jefferson 5 cent massive split

What caused this to happen.It is split right through the whole coin but not all the way to the edges.You can see light right through the coin..I never in my whole life seen any thing like this..Is there any value to any thing like this..It is hard to get a good picture of the light coming through the coin but i did my best..Thanks for you help..

split3.jpg

split2.jpg

split1.jpg

It looks like really bad post mint damage -- OR -- a really great strike through error. From the photos - I'd say it is damage of some kind. It is impossible to tell for sure without a sharp closeup of the affected area on the coin.
    Last edited by russellhome; 10-10-2008, 01:28 PM.

Comment

It may be a natural fissure in the coin metal strip. These usually show facing, beveled edges, and that's what I seem to see. The photo is too small and unclear to be certain, though.
      Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Here is a better picture

Here is a closer picture.Let me know what you think.Thanks

split8.jpg

Comment

It does indeed appear to be a natural fissure in the coin metal strip. A very nice planchet error indeed.

Comment

Is there any value to these kind of errors.

Comment

Also what would i call this error to write on the 2x2 holder..Thanks

Comment

I'd just use the term "fissure" or "natural fissure". I'd say it's worth at least $100 and perhaps as much as $200.

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply's and the information on the error..

Comment

Working...
                  X