Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIE CRACK OR BREAK- NEW PICS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIE CRACK OR BREAK- NEW PICS

I'm not sure what this is. I'm thinking it's a die crack or break and the metal was forced through the crack. There is a ridge along Jackson's cape from the top of his left shoulder to under his chin. There is also what appears to be a bubbling on his right cheekbone. I hope the picture is OK. I just got a new camera, and I'm still not real happy with the results. Any tips on how to get good close-ups.
    Thanks, Nick
    I just took new pictures through my loupe ( thanks Rockdude ). I hope they're good enough.
    Nick
    Attached Files

Roosevelt dimes are prone to develop blind-ended die cracks along the cheek, nostril, and mouth. Perhaps we're seeing a similar development here. Examination under a microscope would be necessary to nail down a diagnosis.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

That is a die break .

Jazzcoins joe

Comment

Seems like an unusual place for a crack but here's one I believe on a 1957 cent.

Most fools think they are only ignorant.
        -- Benjamin Franklin

CONECA Member
        N-4556

Comment

It is unusual place, however, not unexpected. That is a high part on the die and the crack has formed between to indents. If that die was left in service, there was a good possibility that the piece chipped out.

BJ Neff
          Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Is there any idea what the blistering on his right cheek is caused by?
            Nick

Comment

Originally posted by GREEK1956 View Post
              Is there any idea what the blistering on his right cheek is caused by?
              Nick
              That's very hard to tell but i think they are a gathering of little die chips not sure through.

Jazzcoins joe:

Comment

If the blistering were die chips, would it be unique to this coin. I have a small handful with the same markings.
                Nick

Comment

Working...
                X