Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1987 Proof Kennedy DDR in set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 Proof Kennedy DDR in set

Hi Guys,

I found this one recently and wanted to get your opinion to confirm my thoughts. This was found in a 1987 proof set and the EPU looks doubled. No other details are doubled. Condition of the coin looks perfect and has beautiful mirror fields and frosted reliefs and as a bonus, there is a strike through of a thread on the obverse just above IGWT. So, do you feel this is a doubled die on E. PLURIBUS UNUM? This is the best pictures I can get considering it's still in the mint plastic casing.

Thank you in advance,
    Lestrrr
    Attached Files

Hi Lestrrr - There does appear to be some sort of doubling going on that is not machine doubling. I am not a modern half dollar expert but it does look like there is some notching on the EPU. Hopefully, someone with more experience in the half dollar arena will come forward and confirm my thoughts.

BJ Neff
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Lestrrr…you have a RDV-006 (reverse design variety), 1985 – 1987. The letters, EPU from this reverse variety look extra thick typically, especially with the later die states. You can see it on the business strikes as well. You may have a little die deterioration on yours also. The 87S in my collection looks a lot like your photo, but photos can be deceiving. If you think there may be something to the apparent notching on your half…send it in to James Wiles, or maybe he will see your post and comment.

Larry Nienaber

Comment

Thanks Guys,

I've been looking for info. on this Kennedy without luck and since you pointed out what it is, I still can't find it (on the internet). I don't have the Kennedy half book. Where did you find your info?

Thanks,
        Lestrrr

Comment

I do see doubling i belive you have some die deteriortion doubling along with a double die i see notching on some areas of the letters even throuigh it's hard to tell by the pics,it would be a great help if you coild try and post better pics please to really determine this.

jazzcoins Joe
          Last edited by jazzcoins; 11-30-2008, 09:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thge only available information on varieties on half dollars that I can think of is found in the Cherry Pickers Guides or on the CONECA site.

BJ Neff
            Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Lestrrr…the only information out there that I know of regarding design varieties for the Kennedy Half Dollar are in James Wiles Kennedy Half Dollar Book.

Larry Nienaber

Comment

Working...
              X