Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1983 Off Center Lincoln

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1983 Off Center Lincoln

Hello, I have this 1983 Lincoln in holder that says it is off center 35% and obverse looks to me that way just off center. However, the reverse looks to be broadstruck off center. Would like to be sure of what it is before I sell it. I appreciate your help in advance. Clink
    Attached Files

All coins like this are struck with out the collar in place technically making them broadstruck.

This would be considered an off-center broadstruck error.

Most people think of the centered broadstrike as the only error that is broadstruck but off-centered struck coins are as well

Thanks,
    Bill

Comment

It's an off-center cent, pure and simple. By definition, a broadstrike is a coin struck out-of-collar in which all of the design is present. Both off-center strikes and broadstrikes are struck out-of-collar.
      Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Thanks for that clarification.

Of course Mike is correct. I had my definitions a little out of kilter. An off-centered broadstrike is possible but still, all design details must be present. A coin that is struck out of collar , and has all the design details can still potentially be 10% (maybe a hair more) off centered and still retain all the detail. Making it an off-centered broadstrike.

This coin, of course is an out of collar struck off-centered coin. Not a broadstrike.

I am not sure what I was thinking:-)

Thanks,
        Bill

Comment

A broadstrike that is not perfectly centered is called an "uncentered broadstrike", not an "off-center broadstrike".

It is also possible to have an uncentered broadstrike on one face and an off-center strike on the opposite face. It could be due to slightly greater expansion on one face, or slight differences in the distance between peripheral design elements and the design rim. In either case, you'd call such a coin an off-center strike/broadstrike.
          Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the further clarification, I've seen the term used but I will modify my useage to be more accurate. This link brings you to at least one example of the term being used. It also provides a description. I've seen it used in a Heritage Auctions catalog too with a Walking Half being the example.

http://www.statequarters.com/news/2001/102201.asp

I still defer to Mike's judgement on this as I like uncentered broadstrike better. It is a more accurate description. He's the guy that gets it right:-)

Thanks,
            Bill

Comment

All off-centers are broadstrikes, but not all broadstrikes are off-centers. An off-center broadstrike is a redundant term. The definition of off-center depends upon the degree of uncenteredness to the broadstrike. By definition the off-center must have some portion of the design missing, otherwise it is defined as an uncentered broadstrike.
              CONECA 20th Century Die Variety Attributer

Comment

Working...
              X