Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1971-D Kennedy half dollar mint set error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1971-D Kennedy half dollar mint set error

Hi,
    Does anyone have any knowledge about 1971 Denver mint set errors? I have purchsed a pair of Denver and Philadelphia mint sets from PCS (a reputable coin seller). The Kenedy half dollar in the Denver mint is missing the mint mark (D) below the bust. It looks just like the Philadelphia Kenedy half dollar. It is still sealed so there is no evidence of it being tampered with.
    I have been in contact with the seller of the mint set. Yes this is a third party reseller (PCS). http://www.pcscoins.com/collectibles/
    They have reasured me that they take the sealed mints sets directly from the mint and place them in the panel and do not tamper with these.

This would be a packaging error. It probably has slight value, but I couldn't tell you more.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

If I were to prove that the packaging has the red stripe on it and that the mint set has never been opened, whould that make this item a special mint error?

Comment

I have not found packaging errors of any kind to bring a significant price.

Comment

Is there any other tip or trick to verifying which mint the coin came from? Some other indicatior or mark on the back.

Comment

I would assume the coin was minted in Philadelphia and that the mint sets for both mints were assembled and shipped out from Philadelphia.

Comment

Update to the story:

I have removed the third part packaging and potographed it again.
              It shows the the original government packaging with the red stripes.
              It also clearly shows that it has NOT been tampered with.

Comment

While your set has some uniqueness to you it is no way a unique occurance!

Mint sets are packaged in one location to which all the coins going into the sets are shipped. It is not uncommon for the wrong coin to get placed in a Philly Set or even a Denver set.

Somewhere in my mess of stuff I have a mint set with two S Lincoln coins.
                Is it more valuable? Is it possible that a Philadelphia Lincoln die got punched with an S mint mark?

No. The set simply ended up with two S mint Lincolns.

Its an anomoly which occurs more often that one might think or even be aware of.

What you have is a mint set with two Philadelphia Kennedy Half Dollars. Nothing more and nothing less.
                Lee Lydston

Comment

Working...
                X