Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roosevelt on Philippines 10 centimos planchet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roosevelt on Philippines 10 centimos planchet

I recently attended a coin show and located a 1973-D Roosevelt dime that I guessed was struck on a Philippines planchet. It was labeled a "nickel dime". I paid very little for the coin so I had no downside and was anxious to research my data on foreign coins struck at the US Mint. I immediately went to the Philippines section and found that in 1973, the Denver mint in fact struck coins in 1973 for the Philippine government. My coin weighed 30.1 grains and appeared within weight tolerance and to be the exact diameter of a 10 centimos planchet. Looking at the edge of my coin, it did not have a clad layer but instead was solid and noticably thinner than a normal US dime. The reeding was sharp but again thinner. The color of my coin is very slightly darker than a normal dime. IAre there records on the rarity of this off-metal type? I need to hook my scanner up to my new computer so I can send an image, but the obverse and reverse look very much like a normal dime except the color is a little off and there is some weakness around the rim area caused by the planchet being thinner than a normal dime planchet.
    James Zimmerman
    Coneca N-911
    CONECA PA State Rep/Treasurer
Working...
X