Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1955 D Multi Struck Date and planchet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 D Multi Struck Date and planchet

Just wondering what this should be submitted as, to PCGS and also if they would even look at it because of a slight bend in the planchet from multiple strikes?
    It is interesting with 19555 above the 1955 as well as traces of multiple strikes on the obverse side.
    Any thoughts of information would be helpfull and enjoy the pictures.
    Attached Files

It is with regret that I must inform you this is not a genuine multi-strike. The coin was altered outside the Mint. The extra date was impressed by a false die.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Interesting !

Thank you Mike for you quick response! This was a pocket change find which I was hoping was the real thing, but of course my untrained eyes and the fact that I couldn't find anything similar. Well that one of the reasons I joined Coneca.

Thank You!
      Jim

Comment

I bought one off of eBay specifically to see this stuff first hand:

I still do not understand how folks do this.
        Lee Lydston

Comment

Interesting

I hadn't trusted some of the errors seen on Ebay, since most don't have good pictures. Like you it is interesting how they do this, but I don't think I would have the patience to try let alone participate.
          Also yours give me a better acceptance of why there are warnings about purchasing off Ebay.

Thanks
          Jim

Comment

as long as you know what you are getting into. I knew my coin was a fake up front and I only paid about $3.00 for it.

However, if you aren't sure, then only go with attributed coins but there will be competition.
            Lee Lydston

Comment

I have a 1955 with the same condition that I found in a roll.
              coin1955D 004-1.jpg
              Most fools think they are only ignorant.
              -- Benjamin Franklin

CONECA Member
              N-4556

Comment

Same thing Rockdude; made by a soft die.

BJ Neff
                Last edited by wavysteps; 01-24-2010, 08:58 AM.
                Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Working...
                X