Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1926 Cent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1926 Cent

Hiya folks, good to be here!

OK, my first rattle out of the cradle: would this be a Class 6 DDO? Thanks!

PS: I'm not being stingy on the pictures. The coin is quite worn and any other "doubling" (if present) is just showing up as a little "fatness," here and there. The best evidence of that on the letters is on the LIBE (already pictured).
    Attached Files

It does present an interesting appearance. But it would be best to wait for one of our doubled die experts to weigh in.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Well, that in itself is at least some recommendation.

I suppose the best one can realistically conclude, here, Mike, based on these pictures, is that it at least has some of the attributes of a DDO-6. I've never seen the 1943, in-hand, but that "fat" 9 does look eerily similar to the pictures I've seen.

I'd also, if I can, like to get some better explanation on precisely how these DDOs happen. I've heard apparently conflicting explanations, there, such as, the pressure of the strikes is different to some other so almost unintelligible explanation I forget it. Bottom-line, I still can't envision that (or, namely, why that 9 always appears to manifest as the "red flag" on these). So, if we can get some better explanation, there, too, on how these happen, that should also be helpful.

EDIT: I'm downloading the Stanton .pdf on doubling you have for us in the Articles section (...I should have checked over there first!)...that should also help.
      Last edited by eddiespin; 03-08-2010, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Again, I'm not the best person to ask about this type of doubled die. John Wexler and Kevin Flynn in their chapter in The Cherrypickers' Guide presents a number of hypotheses regarding "distended hub doubling" but nothing's been nailed down.
        Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

By examining your coin Eddie, I have to say it's a class V1 ,distended hub doubling.

I see extra thickness on the elements,there's an indication of seperation lines.

With class V1 there's no serif's or notching, just extra thickness in the letters,
          I have seen examples of this class, were the letters were wavy,and that's a good indication for class V1

Rich

Comment

Appreciate it, Rich, thanks. I guess I didn't do as badly as I thought on the pictures if you were able to make out that separation in some of the letters, as it is there, that's not all simply wear...

Comment

Yes, it does look like a Class VI doubled die and it seems that this one has not been reported, at least in the CONECA or Coppercoins' files. If possible, I would like to examine this coin and if it is a doubled die, have it listed.

Please contact me at traildies@aol.com if this is agreeable with you.

Thanks,
              BJ Neff
              Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Sure thing, BJ, and I understand why you need to see it in-hand. I just hope the class holds up. I'm a little busy this last half of the week, but I'll contact you, shortly, and we'll get that underway. Thanks for looking in!

Comment

Working...
                X