Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CAN YOU FIGURE OUT THIS COIN ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAN YOU FIGURE OUT THIS COIN ?

I'm adding a photo of one of my coins to see if anyone else thinks the way I do about what happened to it at the mint . I'm not going to give my opinion yet and see what you other folks thinks happened. I have circled two areas in the photo , the place on the neck area is raised and the area in front of the face is incuse. I have somewhere near over a hundred of these from the same die and they are all identical. I won't say anything for a while and let other you other good folks give your opinions. this is just for fun but it is a real mint made coin .B1.jpg

The bump at the base of the bust is a die chip. The sunken area in front of Washington's face may be a repetitive strike-through error. If a piece of foreign matter sticks to the die face, it can strike a succession of coins. If that's not what's happening, I can provide no better suggestion.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

It looks like everyone else is not going to take a guess at what I believe it is , so I will go ahead and tell what I think caused the struck thru area . Mike you sure are on the right track of what I'm thinking. The reason I circled both area was because it was a clue to what I thought happened to these coins I have.

I know it would be probably about impossible to prove but when I first found these coins I noticed that the die chip and the struck thru area were about identical in shape . I'm thinking that when the die chip fell out of the die somehow it ended up sticking back onto the die in the front of Washingtons face. Then the die chip kept on making these sunken in impressions .

If I'm right about what happened then this would probably be called a struck thru die fragment. These coins looks similar to being part of a dropped letter coin but it is in the shape of the die crack and lasted too long to be a dropped letter.They may never be worth much but I'm going to keep them anyway.
      Last edited by rascal; 03-01-2011, 12:20 AM.

Comment

While what you say is possible, I suspect something else created the depression. The borders of the latter look too soft and rounded to have been caused by the sort of irregular fragment implied by that die chip.

Comment

Mike my photo just makes the sunken in area look to be more soft and rounded than it actually is. I don't have a very good camera and I am no good at getting coin images even with a good camera. I forgot to tell you that this coin also has another die chip on the first T of trust .

Whatever made the incuse image of it's self was really hard because it kept on repeating this incuse area for quite a while and never did change it's shape.

I have a really weird coin here and I will try to get you a image of it this evening if I can find it from my pile of junk. darn if it don't look as if a large piece of another die may have broken loose and got pushed into a coin die and made a design of it's self.This coin has something that looks like a large die chip at the end of Washingtons chin that looks really similar to the end of another chin. This one about blew me away when I first found it.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond View Post
            While what you say is possible, I suspect something else created the depression. The borders of the latter look too soft and rounded to have been caused by the sort of irregular fragment implied by that die chip.
            I agree with mike on this one. I see other areas with die chip (not cuds as some newbie's want to think) marks, looks about time to change the die..
            Last edited by rockdude; 03-01-2011, 01:29 PM.
            Most fools think they are only ignorant.
            -- Benjamin Franklin

CONECA Member
            N-4556

Comment

Rockdude that Franklin quote you keep using is a bad quote even if Franklin did say it. A fool does not have enough sense to know they are ignorant and a fool always thinks they are right and there is no use in trying to teach them that they are wrong.

I don't like to be around someone like a fool , even knowing they have no mind at all does not help the matter.

I see this type all the time , they will have a coin that has been run over by coal trucks and still they will swear that they have the most awesome error coin in the world. Back along time ago I would waste my time trying to help them but I have learned there is no help for a fool. Like the old saying goes a fool and his money are soon parted.

Comment

Mike here's a photo of the coin I told you about earlier today. I believe the circle looking lines on the raised up area are damage from a coin wrapping machine.
                Attached Files

Comment

This is a well-known freestanding interior die break. I have one myself. A piece of the die broke off, either spontaneously or as the result of an impact. Large interior die breaks are rare, and this is a rather nice one.

Comment

I found my coin from circulation. I would have loved to have been able to find a lot of these from new boxes of bank rolls and grabbed up a big group of them. More than likely the mint workers noticed this very soon and got rid of the die.

Comment

I've seen about a half dozen quarters struck from this die. Not a large number, but I suspect there are a fair number of others out there.

Comment

This is a die break on the Andrew Johnson Dollar. Not as dramatic but if left in use it could be. It's on the bottom part of the chin.

Last edited by rockdude; 03-01-2011, 06:37 PM.
                        -- Benjamin Franklin

CONECA Member
                        N-4556

Comment

Rockdude you are right . these die chips just keep getting bigger and bigger the longer they are in use. I have lots of coins where it shows a tiny line when the chip first starts then the chip just keeps getting bigger.

I have a lot of the Andrew Jackson dollars " or I believe that is the one" that have a large filled in die chip on Johnson's coat collar. It is about the size of the die chip as on the quarter I showed on here.

The most dramatic filled in die chip I have found in our modern coins yet is on the Nebraska quarter that has the big chip on the volcano's right side going almost the full length of the volcano. I also have some coins from this die where the chip first started. Luckily I got into a good box of these that was loaded with them.

Comment

That I'd like to see, got any pictures?
                            -- Benjamin Franklin

CONECA Member
                            N-4556

Comment

Rockdude I don't have any photos of these but I will send you some photos if I can dig these out of my junk pile. I am going to have to retrieve some of my better coins. I know where the dollar coins are and I will go look for the Nebraska quarters.

Comment

Working...
                              X