Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiple Errors.. How does this happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Errors.. How does this happen?

I have a 1999 cent, as shown below, with multiple errors. It appears to be double struck, broad struck, with an indent, and split planchet. My question is, how do so many errors happen to one single coin, and how would I go about placing a value on it?

It looks like you already have the errors on your coin mentioned correctly. It appears to me that the coin may have still been in the collar for the first strike which is very unusal then it got struck outside of the collar and off center on the second strike with a piece of something that was really thin between the die and the coin that caused the brockage area. The spit places are because the metal was stretched out beyond its stretching limit. If you want to sell the coin that is really simple. You already have good photos , put it on Ebay with a reserve price of what you want and let folks bid for it.If no one reaches your reserve price then you can get a idea of what folks will pay for your coin. There are tons of buyers of error coins on Ebay and a good coin like yours will probably go really high on auction.
    Last edited by rascal; 11-14-2011, 11:30 PM.

Comment

What if this coin would have been one of the wide A M 1999 cents . I would love to see one like this sell on auction with a wide A M reverse to see how high it would go. I bet it be in the thousands or maybe near a million if someone could find a coin like this one with the wide A M reverse.This is just one of my wild thoughts.

Comment

Sorry folks for so many posts , I just saw something else about this coin that really has me interested in it. On the reverse side to the left and downward of the letter O in ONE looks to be one of the rare dropped letters. It looks to be from the letter O in GOD or maybe from the reverse side from the letter O in the word OF. If this area I'm seeing or imagning in the photo is indented in then your coin may be more rare than anyone thinks.I have only found three dropped letter coins in a lifetime of hunting for them. I still own two of them.

Comment

Originally posted by rascal View Post
          Sorry folks for so many posts , I just saw something else about this coin that really has me interested in it. On the reverse side to the left and downward of the letter O in ONE looks to be one of the rare dropped letters. It looks to be from the letter O in GOD or maybe from the reverse side from the letter O in the word OF. If this area I'm seeing or imagning in the photo is indented in then your coin may be more rare than anyone thinks.I have only found three dropped letter coins in a lifetime of hunting for them. I still own two of them.
          Looking at it closely, that "o" you are seeing is actually indented into the cent.

*Edit* but if you look further out around that "o", it seems you'll see the outline from the "o" in ONE from the reverse. Hard to say.
          Last edited by CharlesNC; 11-15-2011, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesNC View Post
            Looking at it closely, that "o" you are seeing is actually indented into the cent.

*Edit* but if you look further out around that "o", it seems you'll see the outline from the "o" in ONE from the reverse. Hard to say.
            If you have a error expert look at this coin mention this and see what they say. It sure looks like it may be a dropped letter. The O if this is what it is looks too small to be from the word ONE. the area around the edge of this you mentioned may be remnant's of clogged debree from aroumd the clogged O when it freed it's self from the die. IMO this could would be worth much more if it does also have a dropped letter.

Comment

If you have a error expert look at this coin mention this and see what they say. It sure looks like it may be a dropped letter. The O if this is what it is looks too small to be from the word ONE. the area around the edge of this you mentioned may be remnant's of clogged debree from aroumd the clogged O when it freed it's self from the die. IMO this could would be worth much more if it does also have a dropped letter.
              I wish that were the case.. but have a look at these pics. Definitely looks like the "O" from ONE to me..

Comment

I wish that were the case.. but have a look at these pics. Definitely looks like the "O" from ONE to me..
                I can easily see what you are talking about now, your first photos made this area look round and that made me think it was a O. you are correct , this looks to be about half of the O in one.it probably is from the first strike.

Comment

I can easily see what you are talking about now, your first photos made this area look round and that made me think it was a O. you are correct , this looks to be about half of the O in one.it probably is from the first strike.
                  Was certainly worth the hope of a dropped letter though!

Comment

Was certainly worth the hope of a dropped letter though!
                    I just thought of something else that may be worth mentioning about this awesome coin. where the zinc core is exposed the zinc may start to turn black and become pitted looking. I have heard of folks using something like some type of oil to protect these new type cents but not sure what it is. maybe some error collector may tell us what is the best way to preserve these coins. I know keeping them sealed up in a coin holder will protect them a little bit. This is a really bad problem with these copper coated zinc coins,I have been finding them in used bank rolls so bad that the coins falls apart in my hand. If you can find out a good thing to use on these cent coins please let me know then maybe I will start liking them more.

Comment

I just thought of something else that may be worth mentioning about this awesome coin. where the zinc core is exposed the zinc may start to turn black and become pitted looking. I have heard of folks using something like some type of oil to protect these new type cents but not sure what it is. maybe some error collector may tell us what is the best way to preserve these coins. I know keeping them sealed up in a coin holder will protect them a little bit. This is a really bad problem with these copper coated zinc coins,I have been finding them in used bank rolls so bad that the coins falls apart in my hand. If you can find out a good thing to use on these cent coins please let me know then maybe I will start liking them more.
                      Good advice, I'll start looking into it.

Comment

The exposed zinc core does turn dark over time but that is a natural process. I have had many copper plated zinc error cents with exposed darkened oxidized areas graded by the top grading services in the MS 65 to 66 range. In my opinion, I wouldn't taper with those dark areas since it appears to be viewed as normal toning.
                        Last edited by Zimmy; 11-29-2011, 08:13 PM. Reason: typo
                        James Zimmerman
                        Coneca N-911
                        CONECA PA State Rep/Treasurer

Comment

You have a double-struck broad strike, and with a 65% indent at K-9. The coin is also termed a "mushroom" because of the shape of error. Notice the shape resembles a "mushroom." The coin is worth about $150-$175, retail.

The exposed zinc is typical for this kind of error, and could turn slightly gray over time.

It's not a dropped letter (the "O"), but is the smeared remains of the first strike.

Comment

Working...
                          X