Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013 Fort McHenry 5 oz Uncirculated Coin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Fort McHenry 5 oz Uncirculated Coin

Hello:

I just received from the US Mint a 5 OZ Fort McHenry Uncirculated Coin AND a 2013 5 OZ Great Basin Uncirculated Coin. BOTH coins show, what to me, seems to be Machine Doubling of both coins. Hopefully it is actually die doubling (but doubtful).

The attached photo is of the Fort McHenry coin. The lettering "Fort McHenry" "E Pluribus Unum" (not shown) and "Maryland" all display "shelf" doubling (red/yellow arrows) of the letters, and the large explosion 12 oclock position "flame rays" show doubling where the blue arrows point to. The first three flame rays from left to right shows doubling on the left (photo does not show this, just trust me, they are there) the fourth flame ray (going clockwise, but dont count the far left arrow, which is another doubled area) has what appears to be doubling on BOTH sides of the flame ray.

What I need to know is....does this constitute a coin I would find some extra value with or should I return these beautiful coins because of non-value machine doubling. I would NOT expect these 5 OZ coins to have machine doubling UNLESS the US Mint is getting really sloopy in their quality control.

OTHERWISE BOTH OF THESE COINS HAVE ABSOLUTELY ""NO"" MARKS, DINGS, NICKS, OR ANY OTHER BLEMISHES OF ANY KIND UNDER A 20 POWER MAGNIFIER.

Since I only have a limited time to return these coins, if I so choose, I would appreciate as many responses as possible. Thank you in advance for your input.

Photo

Here is the photo
    Attached Files

Comment

The Great Basin 5 OZ Coin

here are two photos of the Great Basin 5 OZ Coin
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Merlin8971; 11-19-2013, 01:00 PM.

Comment

It appears to be machine doubling, but it may require an in hand examination to be sure that is what it is.

BJ Neff
        Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Working...
        X