Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lincoln Cent Brockage/Counterbrockage/Capped Die Strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a struck-thru grease coin. I have had many but this is the one of the "worst" ones from the Mint's point of view.

Comment

Per Mr. Diamond

I enjoy your posts, but please start a new thread for each coin. Thanks.
      If you wish, I will do so. Honestly, I have not many more errors to post in this vein. However, I have noticed no other replies/comments upon my thread and I figured there was no interest other than you.

I will start a thread in the near future featuring a 9-coin capped-die strike progression (obverse) based upon reverse die scratch markers. I have no microscope nor any other way to document these markers in photos but I believe it is a true progression. I just wish I had all of the rest of them.

Once one sees the obverse progression, there should be little doubt.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by AKexpat View Post
        I believe these are struck-thru cap fragments. I have no proof other than observation.

The first is a capped-die strike with a struck cap fragment.

The second one is a normal strike with a struck cap fragment.

I'm not sure what accounts for the odd topography of the first coin. The second cent was certainly struck through some thin metal, but there's no way to be sure it was derived from a die cap.
        Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

This is a struck-thru grease coin. I have had many but this is the one of the "worst" ones from the Mint's point of view.

I concur with your diagnosis. Some double-sided grease strikes are so severe that little or no trace of the design remains.
          Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

This is a capped-die strike with a base-of-bust cud. Looking through a loupe, the date appears to be either 1983 or 1988.

This is a 1988 base-of bust cud that appears smaller and very similar, but no where near an exact match. Could it be a degeneration (additional die breakage) between the two coins if the dates are the same? No apparent die scratches on either of the coins reverses.

If possible, I would like to use this cud for an entry into cuds-on-coins.com. All I would need is an image of the reverse from you and your name so that credit can be given. My e-mail address is cudsoncoins@aol.com

BJ Neff
            Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

BJ,

I just sent the photos.

Hope they are acceptable.

Jim

Comment

Thanks Jim and they are. Looking at the reverse of the struck with a late stage die cap with cud, it is more than likely an 1983. The designer's initials (FG) are the clue and fit the style used from 1974 to 1985.

However, even with that, I will be listing this cud under "no date" Lincoln cents.

BJ Neff
                Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Working...
                X