Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1878 s coin possible error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1878 s coin possible error

I am wondering who I would talk to about my 1878 s. If it was a P it would be a vam 186 A. The only difference I have found is the MM that is different. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
    Member David

Sit tight I am sure somebody will stop by with a good answer.. I seem to recall reading or hearing somewhere that Leroy is no longer accepting submission for his VAM world.. but I could be wrong. (Hopefully I am !)
    Proud Member: CONECA, TEC, HVNS, NS, ANA, WIN, WINS, MSNS

Comment

Tks for the help. I actually have the rest of my life. Lol again tks for your help

Comment

Have you checked VAMWorld.com
        Ken Potter
        CONECA Public Relations
        Member of: CONECA-HLM, ANA-LM, MSNS-HLM, NWDCC, CSNS, NLG, IASAC, Fly-In
        Visit my website: http://koinpro.tripod.com
        Visit CONECA's Website
        Unless otherwise noted, images are by Ken Potter and copyright Ken Potter 2015.

CONECA Notice: Any individual is encouraged to submit articles, opinions, or any other material beneficial to the numismatic community. Contributions should not be libelous or slanderous; ethics and good taste shall be adhered to. Opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent the official CONECA policy or those of its officers. The act of submitting material shall constitute an expressed warranty by the contributor that the material is original; if not, source and permission must be provided.

Comment

Yes I have went to VAM world I can only find it as a P MM and not an S but it is the exact same van?

Comment

There must be a way to contact somebody there.
            Ken Potter
            CONECA Public Relations
            Member of: CONECA-HLM, ANA-LM, MSNS-HLM, NWDCC, CSNS, NLG, IASAC, Fly-In
            Visit my website: http://koinpro.tripod.com
            Visit CONECA's Website
            Unless otherwise noted, images are by Ken Potter and copyright Ken Potter 2015.

CONECA Notice: Any individual is encouraged to submit articles, opinions, or any other material beneficial to the numismatic community. Contributions should not be libelous or slanderous; ethics and good taste shall be adhered to. Opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent the official CONECA policy or those of its officers. The act of submitting material shall constitute an expressed warranty by the contributor that the material is original; if not, source and permission must be provided.

Comment

From the Vamworld Website....
              http://www.vamworld.com/New+variety

What do I do if I think I have a new VAM variety?

Think you have a new variety? Great! We hope you are correct! If you do have a new variety and it receives a VAM number, you will be credited as the "discoverer" and, assuming the coin is yours, you will be the owner of the "discovery coin." You will have made a significant contribution to the hobby and will be praised by your VAM brethren.

Now, before you get too excited, understand that most of the most notable VAMmers have submitted many more coins for VAM numbers than have been received back as new VAMs. As a real example, one VAMmer has submitted 53 Morgans over 10 years and received 8 back as new VAMs. Of those 8, one simply caused an existing VAM to change to a new VAM and one was later discovered to be an existing VAM and eliminated. A "hit ratio" of 11% (6/53) won't get you called up from the minors, even if you're in the KC Royals farm system! But, hey, that's VAMming!

Some of the features of your coin that you believe are significant may not be significant enough to create a new listing. However, your coin may have other minor features (e.g. mint mark placement, date placement) that you did not notice that will qualify it as a new VAM.

Please use the following guidelines to help you identify whether your coin may be listed as a new variety.

So, what do you do?

If you have never submitted a coin to Leroy Van Allen, VAMworld first recommends that you make a photograph or scan of the variety feature and post it to the discussion forum linked at the top of the Home page. The VAMworld crew will examine the image and perhaps engage in some healthy debate over it. Slam dunk attributions just aren't as much fun as the controversial ones, but post whatever you need help with.

If the VAMworld gang cannot attribute the variety and thinks it has potential, one of the crew will give you instructions on how to submit the coin to Leroy Van Allen. Mr. Van Allen is a courteous gentleman and very generous to VAMmers with the time and attention he spends on every submission. To this end, the VAM community wants to make sure that coins are respectfully and properly submitted to him, as he is the patriarch of the hobby.

The number of die varieties is limited. Thousands have been discovered already. However, there are still many many out there. In 10 or 20 years, it may be close to impossible to discover a new variety. But for now, there are still opportunities. Do not wait. Get your potential new variety in front of the experts and vigorously scour every Morgan or Peace dollar you can for any feature that might qualify it as a new VAM. Good luck! We're all rooting for you!
              Proud Member: CONECA, TEC, HVNS, NS, ANA, WIN, WINS, MSNS

Comment

Working...
              X