Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2015 shield cent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 shield cent?

Can someone please explain what this is on the top left side of the shields?Image539.jpg
    Last edited by Jamez; 06-28-2015, 07:43 PM.

sorry about the 1970 I have no idea how it got on there.

Comment

here's another oneImage540.jpg

Comment

Is the blemish raised, incuse, or level with the field? Is it surrounded by a die crack? Is the surface rough?
        Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

mike it's hard to tell.Like you said the area around the blemish looks raised like a die crack. But the inside of it looks incuse. I'am really not sure what's going on.I think richard has some of these maybe he has some input as well.Thanks for the reply have a good day!

Comment

I have seen lots of these. They appear at the same spots as the die chips do on the shield. Honestly I don't know if that area of the die has broken off or some how recessed into the die? I have also wondered if it is a plating blemish caused by a die chip. Like maybe just the outer copper plating is raised in that area due to a die anomaly.
            CONECA member

Comment

We know that the northwest area of the shield is prone to die chips and cracks. Maybe the anomaly in question is a late die state and that area of the die has not really broken but just kind of flaked off leaving just a super thin incuse area on the die at that spot. Just thinking out loud.
              CONECA member

Comment

Its a die chip which soon will split the planchet shortly, I have quite a few of theses, heres a 2015 and a 2013, one with a split planchet, (2013) and one without, (2015) its also raised, (2013 & 2015 ) back in 2013 Ken took images of one I had
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Stachowski; 06-28-2015, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Here's another one i just found. I was thinking it was a stain but after the toothpick test. The area around the blemish is raised like the others.Image541.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Stachowski View Post
                    Its a die chip which soon will split the planchet shortly, I have quite a few of theses, heres a 2015 and a 2013, one with a split planchet, (2013) and one without, (2015) its also raised, (2013 & 2015 ) back in 2013 Ken took images of one I had
                    Die chips do not split planchets. Your comment makes no sense. Since these blemishes often reach a terminal state as a die chip, they're most likely either retained interior die breaks or small areas of die subsidence delimited by a die crack.
                    Last edited by diamond; 06-28-2015, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond View Post
                      Die chips do not split planchets. Your comment makes no sense.
                      I'm not really sure why some have split planchet, and some don't Mike ..

Comment

You evidently don't know what a split planchet is. A split planchet is one that has cleaved along the horizontal plane. Such errors are unknown among zinc cents. The term is also sometimes used to refer to coins ripped in two during the strike. Neither error has anything to do with die chips.

Comment

I call everything that has a split that .. Lol ...
                          Last edited by Stachowski; 06-28-2015, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Perhaps you're referring to split copper plating.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond View Post
                              Perhaps you're referring to split copper plating.
                              Yes that is what I was talking about Mike, thanks for the correction .. One day I'll get it right, my words don't always come out right when I'm typing ...

Comment

Working...
                              X