Log in or register to take part.

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now


No announcement yet.

Die crack 2002 Lincoln question

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Die crack 2002 Lincoln question

    My name is Ted and I am new to this forum. I am unable to find any info on the internet about this error penny that I have found and hope some one can help? It is a 2002-D with what I call a heavy beard, it's a raised straight line starting between the G O of god and goes through lincoln's head to just passed the chin. The line is 12mm long and is real thick at the beard. Is this a die crack or a gouge? I have seen pics of the so called speared bison and it looks similar. Can this be rarer?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tmoore139; 02-27-2008, 04:55 PM.

  • #2
    It's not a die crack. It could be a die gouge or a long, thin die dent. It could also be an elongated gas bubble. The best way to test for the latter is to place the coin under a microscope and press gently on the ridge with the tip of a toothpick. If the metal flexes, it's a gas bubble or "blister". If it doesn't flex, then it's die damage.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.


    • #3

      Thanks for the info!
      Attached Files