Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1880 Indian Head penny clipped error?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1880 Indian Head penny clipped error?

Here I have an 1880 Indian Head penny that appears to be clipped! Not sure if this is post damage or an error from the mint. Would like to have a second opinion on this wonderful piece of American historical coinage. KIMG0133~2.JPG

Here is a side view of this 1880 Indian Head penny! KIMG0142.JPG

Comment

Could you post a pic of the whole coin from above? I would like to see what shape the possible clip is.

Comment

Yes certainly! KIMG0143~2.JPG KIMG0145.JPG

Comment

I think it might have been cut ages ago. It could be a genuine clip, but I am not seeing the right diagnostics, but it has a lot of circulation wear.
          Jason Cuvelier

CONECA
          Lead attributer

Comment

Yes I also think this cut happened long ago but it's like weird how on the edge of the cut it has high points and low points. A file or grinding down would not create these features.I would like to get a macro camera instead of using this clip on microscope to show better pics so it would be easier to see my coins. If you see anything I have that you would like to view in person I would be happy to pay the fee and send them to you. Just let me know

Comment

Originally posted by Adam's Coin Collection View Post
              Yes I also think this cut happened long ago but it's like weird how on the edge of the cut it has high points and low points. A file or grinding down would not create these features.I would like to get a macro camera instead of using this clip on microscope to show better pics so it would be easier to see my coins. If you see anything I have that you would like to view in person I would be happy to pay the fee and send them to you. Just let me know
              Based on your first and last photo, both of the obverse side, it seems that the 0 has rolled over the edge a smidgen....I personally haven't seen that happen on clip errors as the element just cuts out right at the edge of the clip during the strike, but you will see that happen with certain cutting tools. Just my thoughts on it.

Comment

Working...
              X