Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1993 Rosevelt Dime missing clad layer on obverse and reverse..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 Rosevelt Dime missing clad layer on obverse and reverse..

I believe this is a mint error..missing clad layer on obverse and reverse. How do I know for sure. It weights 2.24 grams
    Attached Files

In my opinion, the reverse of this coin looks damaged. It looks like what ever did it moved in a circular motion and may have randomly gouged the clad layer off in spots. There is a smeared circular pattern through most letters near the rim,. In some places, letters appear obliterated. It could very well be coin roller damage.

Circulated coins are tough to assess, since they are exposed to circulation, damage and other variables.

Even if it was missing clad layer in small areas, it appears minor.

https://www.error-ref.com/index-of-entries/

One would think the area in question would be some what larger in respect to missing the clad layer. The thin layer on many examples seem to be torn off during the stike, or improper rolling of the layers, causing the layer to be missing.

Logically thinking about this, the copper area looks bright and shiny. In order for this to have been done nearly 30 years ago, the copper would have been colored brown due to circulation. It was probably done recently.

Too much pointing towards reverse damage for me to say it anything but damage. But, it is just one opinion.....
    Last edited by MintErrors; 01-16-2023, 06:23 AM.
    Gary Kozera

Comment

It's simply a dime with environmental damage. I constantly find them when digging them up while metal detecting.

Comment

Any Tips on how to determine if it is a mint error or PMD? I have a number of dark copper looking dimes.

Comment

Weight. If layers are missing they will weigh less.

Comment

Working...
          X