Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Member Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member Introduction

20240421_234948.jpgHi All, I recently joined. I live in Wisconsin (USA) and am retired.
    I have a 1965 Special Mint Set that appears to have an error on the 5 cent Jefferson Nickel reverse above the Memorial. It appears to be a planchet gorge or a strike thru or a die gorge. The coin is still in the original sealed cellophane and I don't want to open it because it is proof that the error originated at the Mint. Looking at the attached photos I can see part of the error is below the U in the motto but does not seem to affect it. I seem to remember reading an article many years ago about a similar error on coin describing it as appearing as if a tornado or a meteor was about to strike the Memorial, if this error has been described before does anyone know the details. Also does anyone know where to send it to establish a value and rating. I do not recall ever seeing a rating display of a whole Mint set (I would think part of the rarity and value would be in the whole set in the original packaging). This Special Mint Set has several coins having moderate frosted Cameos that could also affect the overall value.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by SomersetSmile; 04-22-2024, 01:33 PM.

Not a dues paying member yet, although I did fill out the application and submitted it, not sure how to pay the fee I have a PayPal account or can use a credit card. Not sure either of those is acceptable because they charge a fee. Here is another batch of photos of the error and Special Mint Set.
    Attached Files

Comment

First of all welcome aboard.

This website has a forum called CONECA services. Under there is a sub forum called examinations. That it a place to post where a CONECA staff member would look over the coin and give their opinion of what this is. I highly suggest posting really good photos of the coin and add as much detail in text as you can. The more info the better. This will hopefully cut down on the number of times they have to reply. They are volunteers and the reply times can exceed acweek on occasion.

In my opinion, it could be a die gouge or die break.

It's your choice whether to have it remain in the SMS packaging. If you were ever to send it it for verification, encapsulation and grading, it more than likely would have to be removed from the packaging. The only exception to this MIGHT be NGC ( https://ngccoin.com ).

As far as CONECA membership questions, I know they do take PayPal payments.
      The page below will provide some answers. If you need to ask some one questions, you can email Maria and she should be able to help. Her email is on the page below.

https://conecaonline.org/join-or-renew/
      Gary Kozera

Comment

Originally posted by SomersetSmile View Post
        Not a dues paying member yet, although I did fill out the application and submitted it, not sure how to pay the fee I have a PayPal account or can use a credit card. Not sure either of those is acceptable because they charge a fee. Here is another batch of photos of the error and Special Mint Set.

That last photo is a tad blurry when I tried to zoom in with my tablet. Here are some tips to use or think about.

IF you need any tips on photo taking with a phone.....

Find a box, about 6x6 or 8x8.
        Place the box on the table.
        Place the coin on the table, close to the base of the box.
        Place the phone on top of the box and turn on the camera app.
        Carefully slide the phone toward the edge so the camera can see the coin.
        Adjust the coin closer if need be.
        You can zoom in, but do not make the photo blurry at all.
        Make sure there is no glare on the coin, use a lamp vice flash from the phone.
        With the phone on the top of the box, you can stabilize the phone with one hand.
        Gently tap the shutter to take a photo.

Photos are best saved as JPG.
        The photos on this website have to be less than 2mb each.
        You should be able to upload 8 photos per post.
        If more photos are needed, you can reply to your post and add more photos.

In the text area where you add a post, just to the top left , is a camera icon.
        That will toggle on/off the upload buttons.
        To upload photos, click on the UPLOAD ATTACHMENTS.

After you uploaded the photos, the list appears below the UPLOAD ATTACHMENTS button.
        Click the area on your post where you'd like a photo to show, like below some text.
        Then just below the UPLOAD ATTACHMENTS button choose a photo to place where you clicked.
        Choose either LARGE or MEDIUM and the photo should appear in your post.
        If you don't add it to the post, they should appear at the bottom of your post as attachments.

If you have a photo editing app on the phone, if need be, crop most of the background out of the photo.
        You should be able to draw a box around the coin.
        From there use the cropping tool to remove any unnecessary background.
        The cropping tool can look like a bent square.
        Gary Kozera

Comment

20240424_131057.jpg Well I am now a dues paying member, was able to figure out the process.
          Last edited by SomersetSmile; 04-24-2024, 02:22 PM. Reason: Trying to provide clear pictures

Comment

Working...
          X