Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1972-P Lincoin Cent Possible DDR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1972-P Lincoin Cent Possible DDR?

Hello everyone, hope all is well. I'm new here and I hope to be posting this in the right place.
    I have been a coin roll hunter for some time, and my favorite is the 72 lincoin cents.
    I know about the 72-D DDR, But I came across these the other day and I never seen anything like this.
    I searched all my coin books and the web sites but found nothing.
    One looks to be a doubled column at the base in the bay to the right of lincoin.
    The other looks like a extra column over lincoins left shoulder.
    What do ya'll think.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 6 photos.

Some of these are very interesting. A question arises that if the columns are doubled, why aren't the adjacent devices like the statue? You should be able to eliminate hub doubling in these cases. There are other possible explanations such as die gouges, abrading issues and possible striking errors.
    The one 1972D DDR you mentioned is one doubled die that I personally am not sure of or convinced it is actually hub doubled. In my mind, it is possibly a well placed die gouge. However, two other notable attributers have agreed that this is a DDR and as such have listed them. This is a gray area that might be addressed some time in the future.
    I would recommend keeping all of your examples safely hidden away. It is possible that some day, some one would be able to address this anomaly better than I have.
    Bob Piazza
    Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Thank You, and you do believe there is something cool about these?
      Out of all the 72's I have searched through I never seen this.

Comment

I wouldn't say there is something cool about them. But I have looked at hundreds of thousands of coins in my lifetime and have seen just about everything. What is cool to you, may not be to me. However...What you find interesting and collectable is going to be way different. I encourage everyone to collect what appeals to them. What I will say is that if you are collecting these expecting a financial premium, you may be wasting your time. Hold onto them and have another look after a year or two. See if you still feel the same way about them. Then, you can ask yourself the very same questions and go from there. I am sure that if you keep looking, there will be other anomalies that will pique your interest.
        Bob Piazza
        Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

I can see Bob's point about the 1972D DDR (below) - it's a hard call - and I don't have micro photos. A DDR I am evaluating.

I agree with Bob that, while interesting, what you are showing is probably die gouging or a related error.

P1050919.JPG
          Jason Cuvelier

CONECA
          Lead attributer

Comment

I have over 10,000 1972 Lincoln Cents and I personally have ignored this one. Same with any year with DDO of the eyes. I just can't bring myself to attribute and try to trade/sell those, they simply seem so minor to me.

I believe in theory it has to do with the dies providing a stronger strike on the areas in question, or they could have retooled or did maintenance on the dies creating an area that would show up better when the die was placed back in service. I cannot promise anything, but if in the near future I can find a good number of these out of the tube rolls and analyze them to see if there is a pattern on how they were struck and whether they are from the same die or others, I can report my findings here.

It is interesting for some and may be a variety but I honestly don't know how much interest there is out there on these. In the many years I have set up as an error/variety dealer and the last 5 years or so as a CONECA State Rep no one has brought me one of these.

Doing a quick search over at John Wexler's site, I did not find much about your coin above. The area John has set up for 1972 Doubled Dies is here:
            https://www.doubleddie.com/384301.html

Happy Hunting.
            Last edited by MintErrors; 02-19-2021, 05:44 AM.
            Gary Kozera

Comment

There is some precedent for this type of doubling on other memorials - not a lot of them, but a few - or they are all well placed die dents.
              Jason Cuvelier

CONECA
              Lead attributer

Comment

Pretty funny we should be talking about this 'slanted roof' anomaly. I was fortunate to pull 3 of them in a roll earlier this week. I have some issues with my eyes right now, but now that I have these examples, I will do an in depth exam on the coins to see if I can come up with anything worth noting.
                Bob Piazza
                Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Thanks Guys, I'll Check back from time to time to see if anything new comes up.
                  All in all I have come across about 15 of these. Some more aggressive than others.
                  Thanks Again.

Comment

Originally posted by mustbebob View Post
                    Pretty funny we should be talking about this 'slanted roof' anomaly. I was fortunate to pull 3 of them in a roll earlier this week. I have some issues with my eyes right now, but now that I have these examples, I will do an in depth exam on the coins to see if I can come up with anything worth noting.
                    What year is that? If it is like the floating roof of the 1969-D year, I have a "few" of those.
                    Gary Kozera

Comment

Thanks Bob, look forward to seeing your analysis and examples.
                      Jason Cuvelier

CONECA
                      Lead attributer

Comment

Working...
                      X