Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1984 p DDO DDR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1984 p DDO DDR

Found a dozen or so lincoln cents over the last month or so. I no expert a beginner actually just learning what varieties are what to look for. I'll try not to post worthless doubling,pictures ect...
    Thank-you. This 1984 p lincoln cent has a dark cherry red toning that makes it hard to see past the surface it is possibly a variety as doubling can be seen on both sides 20220115_171530.jpg 20220115_172142.jpg

Can you be more specific. The photos are blurry and no hub doubling is obvious anywhere. Please tell us exactly where you are seeing the doubling and if possible, provide clearer photos showing the doubling you are seeing. Thanks

Comment

I agree with rock. Show us the doubling. It makes it much easier to assess what you might have.
      Bob Piazza
      Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Try to see if you can find a match on https://coppercoins.com or http://varietyvista.com. Help the attribution process a bit by offering suggestions on what you think it may be. I say this because once you start trying to attribute coins yourself, you will answer many of your own questions and learn from the experience yourself. We all here are willing to help when needed, so don't hesitate to ask questions. Variety Vista has a wonderful logical process to see what is available. As far as I can remember there are very few years over that last 113 or so Lincoln cents that have been around that have a DDO and a DDR. Any information you can add to the post here will help the people understand what you are seeing with coin in hand.

Your lighting is just about perfect. Just don't try to get too close to a coin when taking a photo,, unless the camera has a macro (close up) feature that will not blur images if you get too close. A macro feature is usually represented by a flower.

Typically doubled dies would have the letters, numbers and other devices look thicker and may show a cookie cutter style line within those items. Since a doubled die is more than one impression on a working die, these impressions are typically close to the same height.

It there is a significant height difference between the impressions, or letters look thinner than normal or damaged, with one part lower than the other, suspect machine doubling or mechanical damage.
        Last edited by MintErrors; 01-19-2022, 07:00 PM.
        Gary Kozera

Comment

The designer's initials look doubled and stretched as dose both corners of the memorial. The viewers left corner has a notch as do 4 or five columns to the statue of Lincoln. One cent shows doubling the N shows a notch in upper first leg in both. C in cent shows seperaation.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

I've got a lot to learn one step at a time. Question? Where is North South East West on a coin while I’m asking questions how do you tell in which direction a spread on devices has moved? Oh there is something that I noticed rim near the last T in trust maybe something like off center or misaligned or tilted die strike its lightly pinched in that area. The obverse I'll need to look at again get back with what I see . Thank-you

Comment

FB2130B2-FFA4-45F4-A264-7945F6AB8721.jpeg

Comment

Working...
              X