Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1968 D/D RPM-001

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1968 D/D RPM-001

I see this variety listed as RPM-001 on VV and Coneca. VV also shows it as FS-501. Since I can't find the FS-501 designation mentioned anywhere else like PCGS, Coneca nor Wexler I presume that it's an error on the VV listing. Are there any other sources to confirm if the fs designation is valid?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Dr. Wiles has done this on other varieties also. One I can think of right off hand is 1936-D RPM#1- 5C Buffalo also. I myself wish he would not post this stuff until AFTER the variety is added to the CPG.. Just my thought..
    Eric

Comment

Originally posted by GriglyCoin View Post
      I see this variety listed as RPM-001 on VV and Coneca. VV also shows it as FS-501. Since I can't find the FS-501 designation mentioned anywhere else like PCGS, Coneca nor Wexler I presume that it's an error on the VV listing. Are there any other sources to confirm if the fs designation is valid?
      fwiw, when i ran into 2 situations like this, idk, a year or two apart, after doing my legwork, i decided to submit to pcgs and see what they would do and both were the first accepted attributed examples at pcgs and have a new coin number created for them, this was years ago. 1948-s 25c fs-501 and 1945-p 10c fs-101. so while i don't work at pcgs nor consult for them, nor the FS guys. i'm NOT saying i discovered them, just assisted to get pcgs to list them in the pops.both my examples were unc so that probably helped and it appears as yours is as well.

i'd say, if i had an order going out, i'd probably toss this one in since i don't see a pcgs number for it but it does have an FS number per Wiles site.(i still don't know of a master FS listing anywhere on the web unfortunately, despite inquiring for many many years)

i know some say that pcgs usually won't accept things w/o them being in the cpg first, it is fun to try sometimes. i'd make a note on the submission about it to help them out.

either way, let us know if you do something with it and please tag me if you do. t.i.a.
      coinfacts.com - conecaonline.info - board.conecaonline.org/forum/numismatic-site-links - briansvarietycoins.com - coppercoins.com - cuds-on-coins.com - doubleddie.com - error-ref.com - franklinlover.yolasite.com - ikegroup.info -lincolncentresource.com - maddieclashes.com - money.org - ngccoin.com/price-guide/world - ngccoin.com/census - ngccoin.com/resources/counterfeit-detection - nnp.wustl.edu - pcgs.com/pop - varietyvista.com

Comment

Sorry I'm new to the hobby but what's CPG? Google says Greysheet collectors price guide but that doesn't sound right.

Comment

Originally posted by GriglyCoin View Post
          Sorry I'm new to the hobby but what's CPG? Google says Greysheet collectors price guide but that doesn't sound right.
          cpg = cherry picker guide. based on the FS (fivas-stanton) number system with pics, pups (pick-up points), some pricing GUIDE info etc.
          pcgs = professional coin grading service

since you are new, what i just said might have as well been in swahili.

neat coin

for more "obscure" varieties with the FS desgination, anacs pop reports are a good place to look. googling/ebay etc an ICG example may pull up.
          coinfacts.com - conecaonline.info - board.conecaonline.org/forum/numismatic-site-links - briansvarietycoins.com - coppercoins.com - cuds-on-coins.com - doubleddie.com - error-ref.com - franklinlover.yolasite.com - ikegroup.info -lincolncentresource.com - maddieclashes.com - money.org - ngccoin.com/price-guide/world - ngccoin.com/census - ngccoin.com/resources/counterfeit-detection - nnp.wustl.edu - pcgs.com/pop - varietyvista.com

Comment

Ah, Ok I've heard of the cherry pickers guide but I didn't make the connection.

I like the idea of sending it in for grading and attribution but in my situation it's probably too big of a gamble. I'm not a member of pcgs so the $ to join n grade is probably beyond the value. Especially if it comes back straight grade without the variety and even with the attribute the roi may not be there. Looking at ebay past sales for rpms shows a wide $ range and I'd guess that something like this would probably be towards the low end.

It could all change if I discover enough coins worthy of sending and thus making it worthwhile to join but I'm not there yet.

Comment

so it looks like Wiles updated the page(s) to reflect it is NOT an FS variety?

http://varietyvista.com/05%20JN%20RPMs/RPMs%201968D.htm

looks like it would be a good candidate for an FS listing imo.

Comment

Agree the FS listing is no longer there so I guess that clears up whether the designation was valid. I'll hold onto the coin in case it gets updated.

Comment

Working...
                X