Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1937-P Need help on it..Thanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1937-P Need help on it..Thanks

Would this be considered a Double die or Doubling..Thanks

37a.jpg

37b.jpg

The secondary image appears both flat and irregular - probably an MDD (mechanical/machine doubling damage) - but I could be wrong.
    Jason Cuvelier

CONECA
    Lead attributer

Comment

I agree. It is MMD. Also be aware that there is Master Die Doubling on a lot of 1937 PDS cents that shows a light spread on the 3 and 7 of the date.
      Bob Piazza
      Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Originally posted by mustbebob View Post
        I agree. It is MMD. Also be aware that there is Master Die Doubling on a lot of 1937 PDS cents that shows a light spread on the 3 and 7 of the date.
        I know of a few MDOs, like the '55 and '72 - didn't know about the '37 - I have yet to see a complete list anywhere though. Anyone know of such a reference list?

Jason
        Jason Cuvelier

CONECA
        Lead attributer

Comment

Jason...check out the the CONECA Variety Listings for MDO and MDR's.

http://www.conecaonline.org/content/...s19371939.html

Larry Nienaber

Comment

Thanks, but I knew they were listed within the database - I was just being lazy and hoped they were separated somewhere for a quick reference.

After searching through all the Lincolns for MDO and MDR I found 13 MDOs and no MDRs

1909 p & s MD-1-O-VII (RDV-001 & 002) Doubling on last 9 of date
            1932 p & d MD-1-O-VII Doubling evident as repunched 32 of date
            1937 p-d-s MD-1-O-VII Very light spread on 37 of date
            1938 p-d-s MD-1-O-VII Doubling evident as an 8/8 South in the date
            1940 p-d-s MD-1-O-VII Light doubling on 40 of date
            1944 p-d-s MD-1-O-VII Doubling evident as repunched 44 of date
            1948 p-d-s MD-1-O-VI Light extra thickness on all lettering and date
            1955 p-d-s-pr MD-1-O-IV Doubling evident on lower LIBERTY
            1957 p-d-pr MD-1-O-II-E Medium spread on D WE of GOD WE
            1958 p-d-pr MD-1-O-VII Medium extra loop on upper Left of 8 of date
            1960 p-d-pr MD-1-O-II-E Light spread on IN GOD WE TRUST
            1961 p-d-pr MD-1-O-II-C Light spread on IN GOD WE TRUST, LIBERTY, and date
            1972 p-d-s-pr MD-1-O-I-CW+II-C Light spread on LIBERTY, IN GOD WE TRUST and 2 of date

- does anything appear to be missing?

Jason
            Jason Cuvelier

CONECA
            Lead attributer

Comment

I will have to ask James Wiles if he can change two areas in that list.

The majority of us feel that the dates were actually engraved into the master die and not punched into that die. So, it means that the wording on the 1932 and the 1944 dates should be changed.

Also, we must take into consideration another form of doubling which is called "reduction lathe doubling". This form of doubling happens when the design transfered from the galvano to the master hub becomes partially doubled and is repeated from year to year for as long as that master hub is used to transfer the design to the master die. An excellent example of this is the slight doubling of "WE" on the Lincoln cent, which I believe began in 1918 and last for many, many years.

BJ Neff
              Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Working...
              X