Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neat 1907 PANAMA MEDIO CENTESIMO DDO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neat 1907 PANAMA MEDIO CENTESIMO DDO

For people looking for a neat coin to examine under a microscope and see what a rather significant Doubled Die (DDO) looks like, you can probably enjoy this coin. It's a 1907 PANAMA MEDIO CENTESIMO. According to NGC, the Doubled Die and Re-Punched versions of this coin have a higher population than the normal coin which is supposedly more scarce.

This coin is about the size of a medium sized shirt button, maybe a little bigger. I snagged this off Ebay for just over $22.00 which included tax and shipping.
    I bought one other off of ebay which is on the way for $13.03 to include shipping and tax. So this coin is not too terribly expensive and it is even as low as $4.00 in a lower grade which does effect the appearance of the doubling around most of the coin, but it is viewable.

So, without further ado, Here is the Obverse and Reverse of the 907 PANAMA MEDIO CENTESIMO Double Die Obverse (DDO)

On the Obverse, there is a strong doubling on the date and the "RE" in REPUBLIC. The strength of the doubling is less between the 11 o'clock an 2 o'clock area, but there is significant notching and the "cookie cutter" style lines on REPUBLI and NAMA. The buttons just North of the date appear to be doubled as well as the denticles around the rim of the coin. The dots East and West of the dates appear to be doubled as well.

Some of the letters in REPUBLIC appear to suffer from some mechanical doubling as well, but it is easily distiguishable between the hub doubling and mechanical damage.

I have other closer photos of this. I may have to do them over. If the community wants to see larger photos of the date and the devices (letters and other items) that have the most dramatic doubling, I may be able to provide some of those photos. BUT, the date and RE of REPUBLIC are all you need.

1907-PANAMA-MEDIO-CENTESIMO-DDO-Obv .JPG 1907-PANAMA-MEDIO-CENTESIMO-DDO-Rev.JPG
    Gary Kozera

lovely example

Originally posted by MintErrors View Post
    x
    is there a section on these boards for a master listing of all known so that if we find something not listed, we can submit to help expand the list? t.i.a.

Comment

I think the CONECA staff is updating the Master Listing but I am not too sure if it will include foreign coins.

The problem with helping is, verification and documentation. The coins would need to be sent into to someone to authenticate, verify, potentially grade coins and then..... That would only be a small the portion of coins that are out there. There are sites out there that can list population numbers for some of the more popular errors but again, only the coins that were slabbed.
      Gary Kozera

Comment

Nice coin...and even nicer photos. Thanks!
        Bob Piazza
        Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

I have a few other photos, but the CONECA Board is having issues allowing uploads.
          Gary Kozera

Comment

Working...
          X