Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grading and attributing “ BIE Lincoln Cents”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grading and attributing “ BIE Lincoln Cents”

Good morning, this question is for the experts. I was on one of the “Big three” websites and found that they are grading and attributing BIE’s as “Mint Error” die chip in Liberty. My question is - is this something new or something old that they no longer do. Their website says they don’t do die chips. The one I found on their website was done in 2020. Please give me your opinions. I have several “BIE’s” in great shape that I’ve had for many years. It might be time to let them loose.
    Last edited by John J; 09-14-2024, 11:52 AM.

this post kinda serves as a PSA.(not just you john) T.I.A.

when you guys (and perhaps gals) are on a site that you reference here with information from it, please post that link as it coudl greatly assist those offering opinions for their time and effort reduction.

i personally don't recall seeing a BIE of any date/condition in a TPG holder, not that i'm saying they aren't out there, mostly because the cost of the error service and all associated fees with doing submissions.(a quick search on EB uncovered some in NGC holders but they mostly to also seemed toned to help with increased value and they/it looked like more modern holders but i can't comment with 100% certainty they are currently doing them) - perhaps ask on their forum?

i honestly don't recall if error fee is ON TOP of grading or if error service covers the grading fee? either way it isn't cheap.

i've always wondered if a person had 100 of a certain error, if they coudl get a bulk discount??? that may come into play with simple errors like BIE's.

there probably still are some big time dealers out there with submission discount privileges where they have to meet certain quotas for said discount, so many one could ask one of them??? apologies,i digress.
    coinfacts.com - conecaonline.info - board.conecaonline.org/forum/numismatic-site-links - briansvarietycoins.com - coppercoins.com - cuds-on-coins.com - doubleddie.com - error-ref.com - franklinlover.yolasite.com - ikegroup.info -lincolncentresource.com - maddieclashes.com - money.org - ngccoin.com/price-guide/world - ngccoin.com/census - ngccoin.com/resources/counterfeit-detection - nnp.wustl.edu - pcgs.com/pop - varietyvista.com

Comment

I would like to interject just one thing. A BIE or a metal accumulation between the BE or LIBERTY is from a wearing die. This is not really an error, it's just die deterioration from a wearing/worn die. Same thing with CUD's and Die Cracks.

It's your pashion to collect, what I will say is ONLY ANAC's would attribute and that is with perfect identification with multiple marker's that relate the coin to a particular die. I find BIE's in Cent rolls, all the time, and I give or sell them for a buck or less to a friend who gives them away, to the kids at shows.

To me and this is just my oppinion. You will spend alot more $$$$ than the coin(s) are worth trying to attribute as a certain die. Then have it slabbed.

Comment

Technically I should move this post to the ""General Forum"" Moving now.

Comment

The best book for attributing BIE errors is the “BIE Handbook” with the Hardy Index System Edited by Howard O Hardy as published in 1972.
          The Hardy index system is a method for identifying and classifying Liberty Die Breaks. It was developed by Howard O. Hardy for the BIE ODDITY COLLECTORS GUILD. The index was 1st applied to over 1800 illustrations by John Gedko of Liberty Die Breaks. Using the Hardy Index System a catalogue was published in 1972 called the “BIE Handbook” Edited by Howard O Hardy.
          Hardy Index System : Cuds on Coins (cuds-on-coins.com)
          More about BIE's in the link below.
          Lincoln Cent Die Breaks Called “BIE”: Cuds on Coins (cuds-on-coins.com)
          CONECA has one of the largest if not the largest collections of BIE's "Lincoln Die Break known, the Jean Cohen collection.
          Her book the 1969 edition of “THE CLASSIFICATION AND VALUE OF ERRORS ON THE LINCOLN CENT” is a must have for any collector of Lincoln Cent Errors and Varieties.
          If you’re an ANA member you can check the book from the ANA Library and at one time was available from the CONECA Library.

This book has 880 listings of hand illustrations of BIE’s

Comment

Originally posted by JC Stevens View Post
            The best book for attributing BIE errors is the “BIE Handbook” with the Hardy Index System Edited by Howard O Hardy as published in 1972.
            The Hardy index system is a method for identifying and classifying Liberty Die Breaks. It was developed by Howard O. Hardy for the BIE ODDITY COLLECTORS GUILD. The index was 1st applied to over 1800 illustrations by John Gedko of Liberty Die Breaks. Using the Hardy Index System a catalogue was published in 1972 called the “BIE Handbook” Edited by Howard O Hardy.
            Hardy Index System : Cuds on Coins (cuds-on-coins.com)
            More about BIE's in the link below.
            Lincoln Cent Die Breaks Called “BIE”: Cuds on Coins (cuds-on-coins.com)
            CONECA has one of the largest if not the largest collections of BIE's "Lincoln Die Break known, the Jean Cohen collection.
            Her book the 1969 edition of “THE CLASSIFICATION AND VALUE OF ERRORS ON THE LINCOLN CENT” is a must have for any collector of Lincoln Cent Errors and Varieties.
            If you’re an ANA member you can check the book from the ANA Library and at one time was available from the CONECA Library.

This book has 880 listings of hand illustrations of BIE’s

fantastic post TYVM !!!!

880 listings, ab-so-lutely amazing. (oh my gosh, i JUST registered, HAND illustrations) - man you just gotta love those old-timers!!

i've seen the large cents and some other along with aluminum (am i right?) impressions of coins to show features in the older days. people can be pretty creative.
            coinfacts.com - conecaonline.info - board.conecaonline.org/forum/numismatic-site-links - briansvarietycoins.com - coppercoins.com - cuds-on-coins.com - doubleddie.com - error-ref.com - franklinlover.yolasite.com - ikegroup.info -lincolncentresource.com - maddieclashes.com - money.org - ngccoin.com/price-guide/world - ngccoin.com/census - ngccoin.com/resources/counterfeit-detection - nnp.wustl.edu - pcgs.com/pop - varietyvista.com

Comment

Wow, what a great site! Thank you JC Stevens. I’m glad I brought the subject up. Thank you Eaxtellcoin for switching it to the proper forum. And Thank you Occunumis2021 for your patience and knowledge. - JJ

Comment

Originally posted by John J View Post
                Wow, what a great site! Thank you JC Stevens. I’m glad I brought the subject up. Thank you Eaxtellcoin for switching it to the proper forum. And Thank you Occunumis2021 for your patience and knowledge. - JJ
                ya, it is nice working with knowledgable, personable people.

yw john.

if you like that site, this forum has a list of good sites. - https://board.conecaonline.org/forum...tic-site-links

also the glossary and 9 types of doubled dies links at the top of the forum are good as well.

Comment

The best advice I can give here is, return on investment. As Eric has noted, ANACS might slab these but they will cost a good amount of money. If there is a decentvsized coin show near you, ANACS might be set up with a rep at a table. They can break down the costs for you, and may have a special running to lower overall cost per coin. Even if you decided to wait, they could still help you fill out the paperwork. Then, if you decided to do it at a .after date, you'd be all set. Just check the expiration date on the form. You can always call them to see if they recognize and slab BIEs.

I do not believe the BIEs would bring sufficient funds to equal or exceed slabbing costs. But, people slab coins for a wide range of reasons and it's up to the owner of the coin to make that decision and accept to cost, risk and time plus unknown factors associated with slabbing coins.
                  Last edited by MintErrors; 09-17-2024, 01:42 AM.
                  Gary Kozera

Comment

Working...
                  X