Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1943 D penny question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1943 D penny question

Out of my collection pops this one. Has this one been chemically cleaned or MD? It has some of the markers of WDDO-022 but (again) I am just an amateur.
    Thanks again for any information!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

This one does not look like it was reprocessed. It is actually a very nice coin. The 'trench' around the profile is from re-engraving. They did this to sharpen the details on some dies. The rest of the items you have noted actually look pretty normal. Maybe a little bit of deterioration around the devices.
    Bob Piazza
    Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Thank you for the quick response Bob. I have never heard of re-engraving but now I know.
      I wasn't quite sure about the rest because they are not as accentuated as I thought but there are several die cracks on the wheat ears that almost match and the D looked DD to me.
      Thanks again.

Comment

My mistake... The D looked like a RPM.

Comment

They would engrave the working hubs with a channel. That's what you're seeing around the profile.
          Jason Cuvelier

CONECA
          Lead attributer

Comment

I don't see an RPM on your coin. Die cracks are pretty common on most cents, and the steel cents had some dies that took a beating. As far as die cracks matching, we need to remember that die cracks will continue to progress with continued striking. They can go from a small inconspicuous dot to a massive crack. The position will always be the same and in order to use it as a marker, that is important.
            Bob Piazza
            Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Thank you both for the information. I guess I haven't enough UNC coins to see a channel!

Comment

Working...
              X