Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UFO appears on coin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UFO appears on coin!

I had to laugh when I saw this coin being the serious amateur coin collector that I am! With all the UFO news lately, this -what appears to be a "die chip" - seemed to be noteworthy. Anyone else see the humor in this too? Found on the Florida 2004 P UNC reverse.

IMG_2787.JPG

Attached Files

Oh, so this is not a die chip? I thought I was just getting an understanding on this type of error.

Comment

Whats concerning based on your comment is that this was found in an uncirculated roll from the mint.

Comment

Sorry...this reply was meant for another post and I mixed up the text with this post. I will delete that reply.

The area by the nose of the space shuttle is a die chip...you are absolutely correct. It would not be uncommon that the coin be found in an uncirculated roll. Die chips are formed as the dies repeatedly strike coins and begin to break down. Cracks and chips are the result.
        Bob Piazza
        Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Working...
        X