Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1953 LINCOLN WHEAT PENNY ERROR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 LINCOLN WHEAT PENNY ERROR?

I would like to know if this is what is referred to as a "cud" on the reverse? It starts at the top left of the "o" in "of" and appears to extend up to the "i" and "t" of "United".

Thank you.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.

Cuds must be attached to the rim of the coin, so this is not a cud. This may be a Retained Interior Die Break though. Is it incuse?

There is no listing for the coin on cudsoncoins so I'm not 100% on this one.
    Last edited by RabbiSchmooley; 01-05-2022, 01:03 PM.

Comment

RabbiSchmooley- I apologize, I had to look the word "incuse" up and if I am reading the definition correctly, no it is not. The lettering and features are all raised along with the item in question.

Comment

It looks like a small retained interior die break to me, but you would be better served to wait for somebody with more experience to analyze this coin.

Comment

RabbiSchmooley - Thank you for your help. Hopefully someone will respond with more information.

Comment

This is all post mint damage. It is not a cud or interior die break as the damage was done after it left the mint. It is a hole and scrape from the damage.
            Bob Piazza
            Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Working...
            X