Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this strange?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this strange?

Hi All. Opening penny rolls from the bank, so far 5 of them. They contain 2022 D's except there are few 2020 D's in the rolls. No 2021 coins at all.

Does that seem strange to you?

I do not see anything wrong with it.
    It depends on who initially rolled them and what did they had available.
    Personally, I find it more intriguing that they are all D's than a mix of all years and mintmarks.
    Some one may have purchased D rolls and was looking for something.
    it's hard to assume what is going on there.
    Gary Kozera

Comment

Nothing seems too strange while opening rolls. Were these actual NF Strings & Sons rolls? Hand wrapped?. Sometimes, it the coins come from a Coinstar or something like it, it can have a mix like you got.
      Bob Piazza
      Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

They look like this...based upon my experience they would all have the same year and mint when they are wrapped like this. Seems very curious especially since there are just a few of the 2020's in each roll. Thanks for your thoughts
        Attached Files

Comment

Standard wrappers used by places like Brinks, and Loomis. If you've ever seen a rolling machine area, you would understand why it is possible to have coin mixes like you have. Millions of coins piled up on a table and fed to a coin rolling machine. Those coins could have come from anywhere, including the US Mint, banks and Coinstar machines. They are not sorted before they are wrapped. Obviously, it (the mix like you have) can happen.
          Bob Piazza
          Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Originally posted by considine View Post
            They look like this...based upon my experience they would all have the same year and mint when they are wrapped like this. Seems very curious especially since there are just a few of the 2020's in each roll. Thanks for your thoughts

Those are very common paper rolls from String.
            These and brown ones as well.
            I had over 1,000 of each in boxes that I bought directly from them.
            The rolls come sealed on one end and you can use a plastic roll sealer to seal them up when full.
            Maybe your luck will change, and you will get some BU wheat rolls !
            Gary Kozera

Comment

Ok thank you that is good information. Here is hoping for BU wheat rolls!

Comment

Working...
              X