Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get cents out of old plastic rolls.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get cents out of old plastic rolls.

I just acquired some rolls of BU cents from the late 50's and 60's single date per tube.Looking and the aged tape on the tubes and the style of tubes they have been in them for sometime. The problem is it looks like the tubes have shrunk over time and the cents are stuck in side really tight. Was wondering if anyone had advice on getting them out without damaging the coins. My first thought was a heat gun. Most of the tubes are the old M. Meghrig & Sons tubes and the real old Whitman Tubes and some that have push on caps on both ends.
    Last edited by PNWMAKES; 08-11-2022, 02:33 PM.

I had cracked open over 150 of those type of rolls. Getting the tops off, I'd use a sharp knife to cut the tape. I had a small vise I bought from a hardware store and a set of vise grips to get the caps off.

As for the content, I folded a bath towel in half and placed it on a tile floor.
    I would try to tap part of the rim on the towel, as hard as I needed to to get some coin movement.
    The towel helps keep the coins from scattering as the shoot out from the tube.

People have suggested to me make the tubes warm somehow and that expansion will let the coins escape the grip the rolls have had on them for decades. Some used warm water, others used an outside gas grill and warmed them on low heat.

Lastly, the flat part on the back of the vise was the recipient of many tappings from opening those type of rolls. Some patience, ingenuity and perserverance and you will get thru them in no time.
    Gary Kozera

Comment

thank You Sir!

Comment

Wow - I'll come at this from the opposite side. Put them in the freezer overnight. Makes the roll more brittle, twist cap with pliers then tap the ends of the roll as he said. works every time for me. they will be a bit tough to get moving.... I'm surprised they use heat - it's plastic that will shrink with heat. Water from heating or from freezing will have an affect on the coins over time. Make sure they are dry going back in a new roll.

Comment

Good point in the freezer they go or at least one or two rolls for now. Thank you eaxtellcoin

Comment

I agree, I used good old fashion elbow grease to open mine. It was a bit noisy and repetitive, but they all came out a winner.
            Gary Kozera

Comment

Working...
            X