Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 Morgan D Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Morgan D Error

I know there’s been a lot of chatter about the issues this coin has had coming out of the Denver mint, mine has a nasty strike through as it is. What I don’t know is how this damage occurs? The error is on the reverse, to me it looks like that part of the planchet stuck to the die after minting
    and as it is removed it tears off? I can see in the photos how the upper part that loops around itself looks like it came out of the lower straight damage, out to the coin edge. The coin looks like it would be in MS condition, how high? I can’t say, the strike through looks pretty ugly and would probably effect it.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

In my opinion, it looks like it might have been a part of the reeding. Looks like a sliver of reeding came off the collar and landed on the coin. If the newer Morgan's were struck more than once it would make sense.

The planchet for this type of coin might have been a tad larger than normal. Then, when the coin was struck, the shaving of reeding may have made its way onto your coins blank planchet and was struck with that reeding piece in the way.

Is the strike through still retained on the coin ? Is the strike though raised above the flat field of the coin or is it just a strike through with no extra reeding, a simple gouging embedded or sunk into the coin ?
      Gary Kozera

Comment

Hello Mint errors,
        yes the strike through is still retained on the coin and is raised above the flat field of the coin. The upper part over the “D” in dollar has actually
        moved around a little. I’ll have to take another photo tomorrow and post it.
        Thanks for the clarification.

Ivo

Comment

In my opinion, collectors tend to pay a higher premium for a strike through that has been retained. Should you ever decide to send it in for encapsulation/slabbin grading and examination, the strike through may affect the grade if it was distracting.

I had sent in a wheat cent a few years ago with a reverse struck through a fragment. The fragment was about the size of a pinky fingernail and it was buried within the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. it came back as a strike through, with a grade of ms68. I was shocked. It becomes a difficult decision to promote it as a high grade Lincoln or, a struck through...

I have not attempted to sell this, but I may try later in the year.
          Gary Kozera

Comment

It is a damage outside the mint, do not waste your money.

Comment

Originally posted by ariel cabrera View Post

It is a damage outside the mint, do not waste your money.

Everyone is entitled an opinion, I just hope they are accurate and logical.
              Gary Kozera

Comment

This coin came out of an original mint box and holder. I put it in another type of holder. I feel this is mint damage not pmd.
                photo on the left is taken this morning EST. Photo on right is from yesterday afternoon, I feel the piece moved when I turned the coin over to take a picture
                of the obverse. I only handled the coin on its edge, now that I see that it is a loose piece I’m not removing again!
                If you look at the point at about 4 o’clock from the E in one the piece still seems to be attached, and imagine it swinging down it would fit into the lower
                section. At least to me. Not really wanting to have it slabbed. Maybe have it looked at on this site.

best
                Ivo
                This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Yeah, thats a good option. You can add a post under the CONECA services, under the examinations forum.
                  They are volunteers and they may take some time to get to the coin. If you think its been too long for a reply, you can private message Jamez (yes with a z) and he can get some one to look at it.

I recommend adding as much text and photos as you can. This way you get a good answer in one reply and not have to wait a second time around for another reply.

Happy Hunting
                  Gary Kozera

Comment

Thank you Gary. I think I’ll take up your advice and have it looked at here. I’m in no hurry, they can look at it when they get the chance.
                    I’m also not getting rid of this coin, although I don’t like the looks of this type of error I do think the coin has become unique.

Best
                    Ivo

Comment

Originally posted by IvoR1! View Post
                      Thank you Gary. I think I’ll take up your advice and have it looked at here. I’m in no hurry, they can look at it when they get the chance.
                      I’m also not getting rid of this coin, although I don’t like the looks of this type of error I do think the coin has become unique.

Best
                      Ivo
                      it does kinda look legit to me, mostly cuz i don't see any other disturbances in the area in question, of which i agree, looks like a piece of reeding that was between the coin and die, which would make this a really nice error if turns out legit.

keep us posted?

Comment

Working...
                      X