Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1955 Weird Error, help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Weird Error, help?

So I bought this penny at my coin club. It is a 1955 poor mans double die being the last "5" of the "1955" is doubled BUT what I found weird about this coin was when I got home and took it out of the cardboard sleeve it was heavier and thicker then a normal penny. Not to mention that when I looked at the outer rim of this coin you can see groove marks around the entire coin as if it were a coin like a dime/quarter etc. I weighed it in grams on my scale and it weighed 3.3 grams. I'm stumped? Can anyone help me out on what this error may be and what type of rarity/value I may be holding? Might this be a penny stamped on a foreign planchet? If anyone has any input i'm all ears! Thanks all!
    Attached Files
    Treat Others How U Want 2 Be Treated

It's only 3 grains heavier than normal and probably pretty close to the +- allowable tolerance. I don't see the slight increase in weight as being significant.
    James Zimmerman
    Coneca N-911
    Pennsylvania State Representative

Comment

you may want to have someone take a look at this coin. it may be struck on a foreign planchet. it appears to have had the reeded edge before being struck.

Comment

If a coin was encased and then released it my have marks that you speak of. Without a better picture it's hard to tell.
        Most fools think they are only ignorant.
        -- Benjamin Franklin

CONECA Member
        N-4556

Comment

Working...
        X