Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doubled Gold Coins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doubled Gold Coins

I unfortunately received a small number of older gold coins recently.

It seems to me that varieties among gold coinage seem to be far less common than silver or copper. Be it a rockwell thing, additional care at the mint, both, or both combined with lower mintages and runs of recorded die pairings - they are seemingly worth the additional twice over when having a look-if you know what to look for. - and gold coins, I dont because quite frankly, the collection would never get very exciting; more torturous in all likelihood, haha.

My question of course comes from possessing a 1915 $10 Gold Eagle(s). Appearing in most respects as minor machine doubling, it suggests uncommonality solely based on my inability to find even one photo, article, post or quick-search results from any of the more popular browsers and of course destroying any and all high-res images i can combined with e-marketplace dredging. I am kinda internet savvy.

- Doubling is slight, on a localized portion of the reverse (another tell of machine probable doubling), yet does not carry across the periphery of the coin nor at a rotation. As well, the doubling does not carry evenly across details which are in line, instead skipping some detail, then doubling again....like AABBCCDEEFGG....feel me?
    -RS of DOLLARS, end of quiver/arrows,
    -Olive leaves from right to left: 2,3,4 throughout the quiver (not all),
    -Tail Feathers above quiver (again not all).
    -Upper bar of N, Lower bar of E, Upper T of TEN (TEN DOLLARS) not very clear.

My understanding was that gold planchets, being softer metal than others, degrades dies more slowly than other metal coinage, and also the coins are far less likely to have machine doubling due to added care and less wear on the machine; Less overall, longterm resistance on machines due to lower populations,softer materials, maintained better, etc. equals a Better product with fewer varieties/ME.
    * less resistance = longer life and less stress (wouldnt that be nice, haha).

So, destroy me, correct me, please show me some pics or reccomend a good book! any good books on toning, since im asking? haha.

theres a phone pic through mylar...if that doesnt work, i will have to move this operation to my scope and that will take longer. You may have to let your eyes make a few decisions as the focal point fades into the inner-coin. I'll post more later if there's any need.

Q: What is the commonality of this among the series, date, etc.?
    Attached Files

I found a good look at the Breen Encyclopedia page pertaining to the series, and few rpms exist, one tripled mm, and 1932 has a ddr and ddo....nada from 15. It seems the mint had a few issues to pay attention with, fixing them with survivors few. but in a short series with actually higher mintages in 15, but nothing compared to 32, uncommon may be a fair word for it. ???

Comment

I am just curious.....why would it be UNFORTUNATE to receive "a small number of older gold coins." I would think that would be "FORTUNATE." BTW, Cherrypickers does list a number of gold coins varieties. Maybe not the ones you are speaking of, but there are some. 27 pages to be exact. There are several "Red Book" books on gold coins also. both older and modern coins, if you cannot get more info here.
      Last edited by Merlin8971; 03-28-2017, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Thanks Merlin,

Well...IF they had been a trade, I'd trade them back without a thought.

I have the Huge Redbook (17th deluxe or some crazy step stool sized mass of info, love it)... I will do some more info hunting.

Was there a link to the cherrypickers, or is it a different cherrypickers book I am unaware of?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X