Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magnetic Jefferson nicke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnetic Jefferson nicke

Can a 1943 P Jefferson nicke be strongly magnetic to any magnet and also sounds like regular nicke?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Based on the composition of Silver, Copper and manganese in 1943, it should not be magnetic at all.
    Bob Piazza
    Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Originally posted by mustbebob View Post
      Based on the composition of Silver, Copper and manganese in 1943, it should not be magnetic at all.
      What do you recommend me to do I would like to have it grade it but I don’t know where or how? I just started to collect coins no to long ago!
      This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

My worry is it was plated with a white metal that is magnetic. I'd want to know the weight. If it's not an error, you don't want to send it to TPG as it would be a waste of money.
        Jason Cuvelier

CONECA
        Lead attributer

Comment

4.95 grams
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

So it's close in weight, that strongly suggests it's not an off metal error. That doesn't answer why it's magnetic, but I am not sure where else to go with it as the only thing really worth pursuing would be to identify it as a different metal.
            Jason Cuvelier

CONECA
            Lead attributer

Comment

I will take it to a lab content X-ray on Monday! So I know the alloys! Thanks for you help. All I know that is not a normal coin ! I hope the results come with no silver and plated strongly with nickel!

Comment

Also have this they I found a full roll they look new
                This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Each coin (or in this case group of coins) should be in its own post please. It keeps it from getting confusing and allows people to use the search function more effectively.
                  Bob Piazza
                  Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

I m reiterating Bob's comment/concern to keep it to one coin per post please.
                    Jason Cuvelier

CONECA
                    Lead attributer

Comment

Working...
                    X