Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1982 Washington Quarter with a die cap annealed to the reverse

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1982 Washington Quarter with a die cap annealed to the reverse

If this is not what I think it is ... What I think it is; Well, obviously there's a knurled edge wrapped nearly 360 degrees around a previously knurled edge ... so, my initial thoughts were that another planchet was stuck in the die and was hammered into a thin layer, and instead of falling out into the bin, it attached itself to the reverse of this coin instead, but apparently my opinions carry little weight, probably because my experience could be dropped into a thimble without regard for overflow. other opinions are welcome lol
    Attached Files
    Last edited by William1963; 03-15-2021, 12:54 AM.

Originally posted by William1963 View Post
    If this is not what I think it is ... opinions are welcome
    Who likes my profile photo? Found it in pocket change ... obviously, the engraver didn't polish out the 5 before engraving the 6 over top. It's for sale ... make me an offer

Comment

I do like what little I can see of your profile pic. Can you add a pic of the whole coin? What price did you have in mind?

Comment

Sorry. I see absolutely nothing that makes me think this had anything to do with a die cap. A coin that stuck to a die would have continued to pummel the strikes until it was obliterated or fell off the die. There are plenty of diagnostics of what a coin struck with a capped die would look like. This coin has none of those. In my opinion, this coin has a misaligned die with some damage to the rim on the right side.
        In addition, you avatar does not show a 6 over 5 engraving error. There was no more date engraving during this time period. In the 1980's all four digits were added to the Galvanos and new Master Hubs were created for each year.
        Bob Piazza
        Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Great! Thanks Bob ... Can you tell us how to attribute the 6 over 5 error?

Comment

Absalon2000 Well ... since I was mistaken in the attribution of the coin, I'll wait to see what Bob says about it. He's the expert. After that we can discuss a price. It's a very nice coin of course, but raw (ungraded) and being a novice at grading I hesitate to say. I'll post some new photos with my sterling Lion of Judah pendant, and today's date along side so you know the photos aren't downloaded. Thanks for your interest! Talk soon

Comment

Absalon2000 If you have an eye for over-strike date Lincoln Cent coins, I have several from all decades. A 1935 over 4 ( I have three), a 1945 over 4 (several) and the 1955 over 4 of which I only have 2. Those coins must be viewed with magnification, as unlike the 1996 coin they are red-brown or brown making the underlying numbers difficult to see. With the 1996 however, it is full red and has few signs of circulation wear. A nice coin. Keep in mind that my Mom and Dad and I collected coins avidly for 60 plus years and these coins have never been advertised or shown publicly. With all that being said I found the 1996 in pocket change two weeks ago
              Last edited by William1963; 03-14-2021, 11:40 PM.

Comment

By reading your claims of numerous overdates, something immediately comes to mind. First off, NONE of those dates you mention have overdates. You are simply seeing things that are not there. Did you ever ask yourself how it is possible that you have maybe upwards of 10 overdates, but there are no others in existence? There has never been overdates advertised because they simply don't exist on Lincoln cents. You mention your Mom and Dad collected for 60 years, so if they passed on the overdate info to you, they were unfortunately mistaken.
                I am asking you to carefully review the minting process, and try searching the Internet. There is a wealth of information out there.

To Absalon...I can not in good conscience allow misinformation to cause anyone to spend money on a falsely claimed coin...especially on a forum of which I moderate. Of course, the choice is yours, but I have been an advocate of exposing false or misleading claims for many decades. I have nothing personal against William 1963, but this is just plain wrong.
                Bob Piazza
                Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Well, Bob you've already tried to discount my profile photo ... "Don't believe your lying eyes, folks ... Bob is here to straighten it all out" NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO PAYING MEMBERS >>> BOB I'll let PCGS or NGC or ANACS settle this. I'm not broke, or desperate. In fact I'm pulling my coins down from this ruddy site today. I'm out

Comment

Please have them take care of it for you William. I will refuse to take this any further than it has already gone.
                    Last edited by mustbebob; 03-16-2021, 05:25 PM.
                    Bob Piazza
                    Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Originally posted by William1963 View Post
                      Well, Bob you've already tried to discount my profile photo ... "Don't believe your lying eyes, folks ... Bob is here to straighten it all out" NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO PAYING MEMBERS >>> BOB I'll let PCGS or NGC or ANACS settle this. I'm not broke, or desperate. In fact I'm pulling my coins down from this ruddy site today. I'm out
                      You have completely disregarded Bob's comments that are correct and should have been helpful. a 1996 over a 5 is impossible. Sorry...

The quarter above has a collar clash. It's a low premium error - maybe a buck or two.

Farewell. Have fun spending the last of your funds on PCGS or ANACS slabbing fees - only to have the coins returned without these fanciful designations you are gleefully claiming.

And this thread is LOCKED.
                      Jason Cuvelier

CONECA
                      Lead attributer

Comment

Working...
                      X