Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1972 P Kennedy Half- Light Planchet Error?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1972 P Kennedy Half- Light Planchet Error?

Ok all, I've been trying to find info pertaining to this for quite some time and realized that I don't think I have brought it here. While searching a box of halves, was doing my sound check to make sure I didn't miss something. While doing this, i heard what sounded like a silver (that un-mistakable sound) but it turned out to be a 1972 P. Obviously not silver, but why the odd sound??? It didn't have the sound of a "Magic" coin either. Decided to weigh it and found it was severely underweight. I've read about others asking about the 72P in particular having the exact same thing- off sound and same weight as mine. Anyone have any experience with this? It only weighed 10.3g (weighed multiple times and compared to normal halves). Sorry for the bad picture, but it's what I have at the moment.
    Attached Files

It does appear to be a gram too light. What does the edge look like? Does it look like copper? Is the reverse still strongly struck? There are cases when the coins are struck on tapered planchets, but I am not too sure what percentage of weight loss is the result of that.
    Bob Piazza
    Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Originally posted by mustbebob View Post
      It does appear to be a gram too light. What does the edge look like? Does it look like copper? Is the reverse still strongly struck? There are cases when the coins are struck on tapered planchets, but I am not too sure what percentage of weight loss is the result of that.
      Every other aspect appears to be like any other clad half (edge, reverse etc). It was only due to the sound that it made that caught my attention. The diameter is correct as well as the thickness.

Comment

It could struck on stock that was rolled thin. I need better photos
        Jason Cuvelier

CONECA
        Lead attributer

Comment

Originally posted by jcuve View Post
          It could struck on stock that was rolled thin. I need better photos
          I'll dig it out and take some good pics

Comment

I do not like the lack of a reeded edge. It could still be underweight, a rolled thin error, but an underweight coin should still take some of the reeding from the collar during the strike. Could filling down the edges on a Kennedy take one gram of metal off?

You could email Fred Weinberg and see what he thinks. I have not examined enough rolled thin coins to make the call on this one. It's probably not enough underweight to command much premium if real - Fred would also be a better person to ask about that as well.

Jason Cuvelier

CONECA
            Lead attributer

Comment

Working...
            X