Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1964 Kennedy Half dollar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Kennedy Half dollar

Being retired, I finally have time to go through the jars and rolls of coins I've accumulated over the past years. In the process I came across this Kennedy Half.
    It is a 1964 struck on a damaged reverse planchet. There's a feeder finger scrape of the Reverse field that runs under the left wing and continues N.E. under the devices up under the T of STATES. Thoughts and does it need attribution for grading and certification purposes?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.
    Last edited by Coindog; 06-08-2021, 07:02 PM.

There is definitely something there, but I can't see it being feeder finger damage. If it is, it is simply a striking error No matter what it is, there is no attribution or certification. If you submit it for grading, the TPGS is the one to annotate the anomaly if they feel it is something noteworthy. There is nothing we can do that will change what those folks know already. My take is that no matter what it is, it would not affect the coins price and you may not even recoup grading fees. The question I ask most is 'What are your plans for this coin?' Are you going to try and sell it? If you are, what are you hoping to get for it, and what would you be selling it as.
    Bob Piazza
    Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Mustbebob,
      When I first spotted the anomaly just looking at it through my loop, it brought to mind the feeder finger scrape on that Sacagawea dollar. The only difference is that Kennedy is field restricted. The shimmer of the scrape in the loop has all the earmarks of a feeder finger scraped planchet.
      ​​​​ . Personally, I would like it slabbed to preserve the coin and have it certified just because it's an odd 64 Kennedy in my collection. Will probably send to Anacs during a 10 coin special.
      ​​​​ In the microscope it's more apparent. I do have microscope photos but thought they were unnecessary here.
      ​​​​ Thanks for your guidance on this one.

Comment

Feeder finger damage is not on the planchet. The feeder finger scrapes and damages the die.

Comment

N-6503,
          So what I am understanding your saying is that the feeder finger scrape was imparted to the reverse field portion of the anvil die, which then became part of the strike impression as a field restricted strike error?
          Or could the planchet gotten scrape damage before it made it to the press.?
          Last edited by Coindog; 06-08-2021, 06:11 PM.

Comment

You indicated before "feeder finger scraped planchet". I was just pointing out that the feeder fingers scrape the die face. The planchet could have been damaged before striking but I don't think you could specify what actually did the damage.

Comment

N-6503,
              Thanks for the clarity. So at any rate, when I send it to be slabbed for preservation, should I specify that it's a damaged planchet or a die scrape on reverse?
              What would you do?

Comment

If it were me I would put it in a 2X2 cardboard flip and save my money. If I wanted in something more secure I would place into one the hard shell snap together protector.

Comment

It could be a die scrape. I am not sure if it is or an anomaly on the planchet.

This DDR has a die scrape.

2020PDDR001B (1).jpg

Jason Cuvelier

CONECA
                  Lead attributer

Comment

Jason, I'm familiar with that one. The Jefferson DDR with the scrape above the arch window. It's one of the markers.

Comment

Working...
                    X