Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1881 s Morgan Dollar error coin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1881 s Morgan Dollar error coin

I have three 1881 s Morgan dollars that are graded and slabbed by PCGS. They are graded MS 63, 64 & 65. I was examining these and noticed the dates were placed differently from one another. Most likely different dies or on different presses and etc. Then I began to look at VAMs for this date and found several regarding doubling of the date and on reverse filled in S and filled in G in God and found at least one of the three I have has this. Upon closer examination the first 8 in the date has die chips on the narrow part of the it. Looking at one of the other ones it too had a different chip on the same numeral. So I am new at this and would like some help to figure out if I have a "new" VAM or just a combination of several already found. I do believe ther is also doubling on the date of at least one of these. Pictures supplied and annotated should help in identifying these.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Die chips are very common and show up the more and more as the die strikes more coins. Your annotations on the photos are great and make it easier to see exactly what you are trying to get at. What you are referring to as 'shifting' is actually all part of the striking process. You coins all appears to have machine doubling and die deterioration. You can tell by the flow lines present in your pics that the coins with die chips were also a later die state.
    As far as VAMs go, I am not an expert in that area. Hopefully, we can get other members who are to comment on these coins as well.
    Bob Piazza
    Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Use the following links to assist in determining the VAMs. Been able to VAM most of the Morgans that I have. The descriptions are fairly accurate but it is best to find any possible anomalies (Chips, Gouges, Die cracks and gouges, etc.) on each coin as not all anomalies are listed in the description. Use Attribution_101 to narrow the list for your year and mint mark. It will take some time getting used to doing it. There are also photos that accompany most VAMs to assist.

http://www.vamworld.com/wiki/Attribution_101

http://www.vamworld.com/wiki/Morgan_VAMs_by_Date

Comment

cpk20 Thank you for the reply. I have some studying to do.

Comment

Working...
        X