Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1990 Lincoln Cent Dbl. Struck/Broadstruck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 Lincoln Cent Dbl. Struck/Broadstruck

WOW!!! Got this penny two days ago in pocket change. Almost fell off the chair when I looked at it through my loop. With further research I'm leaning to a tilted partial collar, with an ejection double struck reverse and a DDO. I have more pics but these give the overall picture of this pocket find.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 8 photos.
    Last edited by Coindog; 01-09-2022, 08:56 AM.

I need a little help seeing what you are seeing. I'm not seeing that it's broadstruck or that it has a double struck reverse or a doubled die obverse.

Comment

Originally posted by Hasfam View Post
      I need a little help seeing what you are seeing. I'm not seeing that it's broadstruck or that it has a double struck reverse or a doubled die obverse.
      I just posted my microscope photos. Did you look at them? Seriously?

Comment

The photos are coming up kind of dark on my computer which may have something to do with my not seeing the errors. But what i do see (and its only my opinion) is a tolerable amount of space between the collar and the devices and not a broadstrike. I definitely do not see a double strike on the reverse (photo may be too dark for me to see) and what on the obverse is hub doubled? The VDB? Sorry, I'm not denying these errors exist, I'm just having trouble seeing them.
        Last edited by Hasfam; 01-08-2022, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hasfam View Post
          The photos are coming up kind of dark on my computer which may have something to do with my not seeing the errors. But what i do see (and its only my opinion) is a tolerable amount of space between the collar and the devices and not a broadstrike. I definitely do not see a double strike on the reverse (photo may be too dark for me to see) and what on the obverse is hub doubled? The VDB?
          On my computer the pics are very brite. and there is a double strike on the reverse with a broadstrike that I have already had confirmed by a third party. There's a discolored toning on a strike above the main strike of United States of America. You need to Brighten your screen.

Comment

Ok, great photos. This is not a double strike on the reverse as you call it or a doubled die. This is ejection doubling. Falls under the MD, machine doubling category.

Comment

I may agree with you about the Broadstrike but, I'll defer the rest to John Wexler's review of it.

Here's a link on ejection impact doubling. This is a quote on the subject from error-ref.com,

Ejection impact doubling is not related to, and should not be confused with, any form of machine doubling.

http://www.error-ref.com/ejection-impact-doubling/
              Last edited by Coindog; 01-08-2022, 05:54 PM.

Comment

I think Hasfam has it right. Your coin is not broadstruck, doubled struck, nor is it a doubled die. It might have ejection impact doubling (I personally don't think it is), but that is damage anyway, and I do not see how you can confuse that doubling with the same as noted in your link. Your coin has die deterioration and split plating issues. Everything I am seeing on this coin is common on many coins.
                Last edited by mustbebob; 01-13-2022, 03:10 PM. Reason: typo
                Bob Piazza
                Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

I would do lots of research and buy some books. Many of them are pretty cheap. Several different sites with pics. Learn learn learn. Cant give yourself a heart attack over a normal coin.

Comment

Originally posted by Kloccwork419 View Post
                    I would do lots of research and buy some books. Many of them are pretty cheap. Several different sites with pics. Learn learn learn. Cant give yourself a heart attack over a normal coin.
                    After research through two of my books, I've already come to the same conclusion as HASFAM.

Comment

Working...
                    X