Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hit and Run at the Lincoin Memorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hit and Run at the Lincoin Memorial

1989 Lincoln Cent with mint error or damage on reverse...Lincoin Memorial looks as if it was involved in a hit and run...I have no idea what to call this...need help...What is this?
    Attached Files

In my opinion, it's either zinc rot, a potential gas bubble that got free or its post mint damage.
    Pmd is anything that people can come up with to use a coin
    as a tool, or just do something weird to a coin to get people to scratch their heads while they chuckle
    about it.

Its circulated, it looks like it is a hole on the coin, and it so, it may have been exposed to medium tobhigh heat.
    Gary Kozera

Comment

I don't see any disruption to the surface of the reverse of the coin...it appears as if the image was minted as it appears...just my take on it

Comment

it appears as if the image was minted as it appears.
        It was not minted that way. There is nothing in the minting process that would allow that. This is simple circulation damage, probably from being stepped on and scraped in a parking lot. It shows every indication of PMD.
        Bob Piazza
        Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

That's what I thought when I first saw it, but there is no sign of scrapes or scratches on the coin

Comment

Is it possible that some debris of some kind could have been on the die or planchet when it was struck and caused this unusual image? The surface of the area in question has the same finish as the rest of the coin. I can't explain it but there are no jagged edges and the copper plating is still in place

Comment

You see that spill looking stuff on the surface, in my opinion, that's some zinc leakage from damage.
              there is a scrape or issue, base of the first column that goes east to west.
              We give our opinions based on many years of experience looking at hundreds of thousands of coins. THIS coin is well circulated and looks like it's patina is almost gone. The initial strike was good, whatever happened to it in the last 30+ years in circulation is unknown.
              Gary Kozera

Comment

Thank you all for your comments and sharing your knowledge. I hadn't been to the Variety Vista website, very helpful. You guys are “the buster of dreams”.

Comment

You guys are “the buster of dreams”.
                  We've been called worse. Sometimes, facts just aren't as sexy as pareidolia.
                  Bob Piazza
                  Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Sure your right...

Comment

Originally posted by cebell View Post
                      Thank you all for your comments and sharing your knowledge. I hadn't been to the Variety Vista website, very helpful. You guys are “the buster of dreams”.

This entry is not pointed at anyone specifically, but it happens more than most people can comprehend. I have just 1500 posts on this website, and the word I seldom use is.... congrats.

I personally don't and won't sugar coat anything. People that are willing to help us help themselves are the ones I will continue to help.

For those select few who cannot or will not show effort to help us, or research questions before they ask, they get thrown on my ignore list. Again, if unwilling to learn, I refuse to try to explain to them at length if all they are willing to do is slap a photo on a web site and say is this an error ?

For most who are willing to learn and examine or attribute coins on their own, understand the minting process. They read a book or two, and good things happen. They can comprehend how things are logically debunked and some of the declared issues with coins are not possible.

This book is very good, if some one takes the time and effort to read, comprehend and logically think how the minting process works.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Error-C...mid=2041307555 93&targetid=1264870805424&device=t&go o gleloc=9008565&campaignid=14859008593&mkgr oupid=130497710760&rlsatarget=pla-1264870805424&abcId=9300678&merchantid=629 6724&gclid=Cj0KCQiAj4ecBhD3ARIsAM4Q_jF4taLQDDg eLgkYdeXdYTE1HdT40NUT1RmgLFgqy2mAujBu9gYQY4YaAm9fE ALw_wcB&pageci=5b79311e-17b7-466a-ae3d-36743f22ebdc&redirect=mobil

People have to realize that the US mint has significantly reduced the amount of errors and varieties that es ape the mint. There is hardly anything out there from 2003 until now. Only minor issues like struck through grease and very minor off centers might squeek out.

A friend told me that he saw John Roberts at one coin show. He examines and attributes coins for ANACS. John broke the news about what the coin was and the owner once fired up about the coin realized the coin was not what he claimed it to be and his shoulders slumped and walked away. John simply turned to my friend and slightly shook his head and somberly said, " now you see why they call us the crusher of dreams".
                      Last edited by MintErrors; 11-26-2022, 03:50 AM.
                      Gary Kozera

Comment

Correction on my quote from John Roberts...I meant to say "the crusher of dreams". No insult intended but rather an appreciation for honestly sharing your knowledge. I've been involved in trying to educate myself for the last month...if that...I'm new to this and didn't realize there was so much to be learned. When I started to look through the pocket change I had saved...I knew I needed to know what I was looking for. I know more now than I knew a couple weeks ago...I know now the education has just begun. I had a dream of finding a rare coin and cashing in...I got excited over coins that were a product of PMD, thinking they were NEW DISCOVERIES..."SILLY ME". I identified with what John Roberts said, "now you see why they call us the crusher of dreams"... So, as I continue to learn...Thank you for what you do.

Sincerely,

Calvin Bell

Comment

Working...
                        X