Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1945S JEFFERSON NICKEL RPM-009 & DDR-001?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1945S JEFFERSON NICKEL RPM-009 & DDR-001?

I am looking at a 1945S Jefferson Nickel. The coin appears to be a RPM-009 and DDR-001, Stage 'D'. The picture are very similar to VV for both the RPM-009 and DDR-001 Stage 'D'. I have the following die markers present on the subject coin: Obverse, Die crack in upper hair – VLDS. Reverse, Die crack Right dome South between pillar # 3 and # 4 - VLDS, however the metal flow on the back is so bad I can only get the upper part and fragments of the lower part. Doubling is very weak due to metal flow lines – LDS. Thoughts or Comments?
    Attached Files

It looks as though your attribution is accurate. I agree that it is a later die state also. The two together are unique, so I would say you are correct.
    Bob Piazza
    Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Hello Bob, Thanks for the confirmation. Cheers, Bruce.

Comment

The die cracks through the hair are stronger than mine and the concave die scratches to the SE are weaker. The die crack heading SE then turning south, through the right window is stronger than my stage "D". That coin should be a stage "E" -VVLDS

Comment

Hello eaxtellcoin, Thanks for the update and the concise analysis. The coin is currently in a ANACS holder marked "1945S/S 5c, RPM-9" and shows in the ANACS Pop that way. I had some coins going to ANACS and was going to send this one in for reattribution as both RPM-009 and DDR-001, "Stage D". Any reason to hold off and see if CONECA wants to do a 'Stage E'? LMK if you need additional pics. Thoughts or comments?

Comment

Hello rbroederer.
            Remember ANACS will not attribute by stage without a letter so an attributer will need to see the coin. The attribution on the holder is correct. If the coin were mine, I would just add the stage marker with a sticky dot on the back and keep my $$$, but that is me.

Comment

Hello eaxtellcoin, The ANACS holder only has the RPM and not the DDR listed on the holder. Thanks for the info on the stage marker, I did not know that. I think I will wait and send the coin into CONECA and possibly get a 'Stage E' marker. Not in any hurry. I just had some free certs with attributions from ANACS on another misattribution and sending some coins in to them this week.
              Attached Files

Comment

Bruce,
                I pulled my stage "D" again, All the lower lettering is very mushy and I cannot tell the DDR is still there because of die state. If you look at Dr. Wiles's photo's his stage "B" shows the lower "M" of UNUM very well. That is the best PUP. The VLDS coins the DDR is not distinguishable so I would save the $$$. They may not list the stage, even with the letter, if they cannot see the DDR.
                Eric

Comment

Hello Eric, Thanks for all the extra effort you have spent with the analysis. I think I will shelve this one for the time being and concentrate on other coins. Thanks again, Cheers, Bruce

Comment

Working...
                  X