Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

War nickle 1943 over 42 plus P over S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War nickle 1943 over 42 plus P over S

Hello,
    I noticed the date has a 2 behind 3..
    Flipped it over and saw a very noticeable Small S stamped over by a Large P..?
    i did find1943 over 42 date variety but nothing about the mint mark.
    I'm i seeing things or could i possible be on to something new?
    sorry if my editing skills of overlaying sucks..
    It's not spot on, just reference to what I think im seeing..
    thanks all for checking it out!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Be~Hunt~N~Rolls; 04-24-2022, 05:57 AM.

Hello and good morning. Try to go to VV until we have the CML updated and check mintmark position with the coin you are trying to attribute:
    http://www.varietyvista.com/04a%20JN...943PDDO003.htm

The "P" mintmark is tilted to far East on your coin to be DDO-003. So the DDO is not correct. I'm sorry but I do not see anything in your second photo that resembles an RPM. An RPM should be raised to the field, this coin shows wear from years of service. Sorry, keep looking.
    Eric

Comment

I agree with Eric completely. I do not see any evidence of a doubled die, or RPM.
      Bob Piazza
      Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

I dont think its a doubled die..
        43 over 42 on the date..
        Im probably looking to hard but I swear I see rasied area in the shape of an S..
        It was hard to make out when first looking at it. But I believe I found the direction and was able to get a better photo..
        the S is facing NE at a 2 o'clock position..
        Photos above don't show it minus the full coin reverse pic..
        even then its not a good picture..

Comment

I am trying real hard to see what you do, but I'm afraid I just don't see it. Of course you have the coin in hand. Your pics aren't terrible at all. They just don't do it for me, no matter how hard I look.
          Bob Piazza
          Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

I think this is pareidolia.
            Wendell Carper

It's a bird! It's a plane! Aw nuts... It's merely two die scratches!

Comment

yeah...
              it was late..
              Kinda like rn but I'm pretty sure my next post is not seeing random things via tired mind..
              check out the 1982D hub doubled Obverse large date copper
              I swear i've seen this DDO before.. not sure where tho, or maybe confusing with the recently found 82 DDO large..

Comment

Two things wrong right off the top of me head, I am just typing as logically as I can right now...

1. Number font sizes between the 1942 super-imposed over the 1943 are different sizes. It' s nice to make things fit, but to me, unrealistic if the sizes are not true to size. and the spacing in between each number has to be right on, that is super critical.
                2. If the "1942" was that far off, things to the south of the date may have caused that to be off-center.

I use a freebie program called paint dot net to create overlays.... its free, relatively easy to master and they have a decent help section and forum as well.

Lastly, although potentially possible - I do not know of any P/S OMM's. That would look painfully obvious if it was done.
                Last edited by MintErrors; 04-27-2022, 05:46 PM.
                Gary Kozera

Comment

Working...
                X