Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 P Lincoln cent w/Die Ring(s) or Lathe Lines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 P Lincoln cent w/Die Ring(s) or Lathe Lines?

2018 P Lincoln cent w/Die Ring(s) or Lathe Lines?

This shield cent popped up recently. I almost lost track of it on my desk because of work and finally got some images.

I initially only thought of it as an example of a "die ring" on coins but when taking the images it occurred to me it might be lathe lines.
    Lathe lines - https://www.error-ref.com/lathe_rin...incoln_cent/

Die rings- https://www.error-ref.com/die-rings...and-spirals/

(I think they are die rings but I'm open to other possibilities.)
    Let me know what you all think and thanks for any comments. (I do like die "events"!)

BTW- The concentric rings are raised but seem to be more like narrow "washers" inside each other instead of lathe lines.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 8 photos.

It sure does look like one of the die rings anomalies. I assume they still don't know how they are formed, but I have seen them on multiple denomination coins. Nice find!
    Bob Piazza
    Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Thanks again Bob.

I'm in agreement on it being die rings. I've had one other long-time collector saying its lathe lines, but the lines don't appear small enough or symmetrical enough to be lathe lines.

Comment

I agree. We could settle all the arguments if we knew how they were formed. On these rings, I completely eliminated them being lathe lined. The only other way (and this is my opinion) is that if it is a polishing issue. In other words, I just don't know. Real nice find though.
        Bob Piazza
        Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Working...
        X