Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1958 D LWC RPM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hummm what about number 69 on coppercoins ? I cannot see the upper serif enough to confirm. I am on a tablet today, so editing software and overlays are out for me.

http://coppercoins.com/lincoln/diest...&die_state=lds

I will dig for other possibilities. Sometimes, it is easier to lake a list of the ones it is NOT.
    It will trim now the list pretty significantly.
    Last edited by MintErrors; 07-30-2022, 01:44 AM.
    Gary Kozera

Comment

I can not determine based on the images you have provided. Can you get better images of the die markers? Also, can you get a better image (more light) of the mint mark? I am thinking the mint mark is D/D tilted (or rotated) but I would like to better see the internal markers and the doubled edges. I too tried to match yours up to known RPMs but I do not see any matching die markers.

Comment

This is just a suggestion. Don't get hung up om markers.
        Your coin may not be a match for that specific die stage.
        in my opinion, the mintmark position will get you extremely close.

The last set of mint mark photos should help.
        It's late but let me see if I can look thru some of the RPMs on coppercoins.
        Gary Kozera

Comment

mustbebob might stop by. Prolly. For sure. Hehe.

The inner part of the mintmark on your coin just does not line up with anything on variety vista, coppercoins or wexlers website. The very last set of mint mark photos above, the third photo shows slight separation of the D's...to the southeast. That should have been enough to list this coin in my opinion.

so, IF it was ever seen by Mr. Wiles it should have been listed ? I am just saying, if it was seen, It's pretty obvious there is some separation. Odd that it is seems like it's not listed anywhere.
          Let's see what Bob says about this particular RPM.
          Last edited by MintErrors; 07-31-2022, 04:29 AM.
          Gary Kozera

Comment

Well thank you Gary for your help. to quote Dr. Wiles

"Determining an RPM to be too minor to list is by its current nature a subjective evaluation. Since we are dealing with very small measurements, hundredths or thousandths of an inch, and most of us do not have access to highly sensitive equipment for measuring these small increments, no scientifically quantifiable and therefore objective measurement for evaluating an RPM to be too minor has been established. The first thing I look for are any markers that help me in distinguishing this RPM as a unique die. Most of the time the major marker is in the mintmark itself. Strength of doubling, direction of doubling, and position of the main mintmark relative to the design (usually the date though certainly not always as some mintmarks are on the reverse of the coin or positioned away from the date) are the most important elements. Secondarily, I look for die cracks, die chips, die scratches, die gouges, and die state on both sides of the coin. With all this information in hand, I make a subjective decision. Is it identifiable as a unique die? and would I buy one? If I can answer yes to both questions, I list the coin. If I cannot, I give it the dreaded, too minor label."

Let's see if Bob chimes in. I do have two of these 1958's that are the exact. Again thank you Gary

Comment

Your coin does appear to be listable. However, I can not tell you which one it is. This is a case where the forum would verify if it is a variety, and then you would need to send it in for attribution. Based on the thousands and thousands of varieties out there, this can not become a free attribution forum unless something is so obvious that we can figure it out pretty easily. In addition, we do not have the coin in hand, and as such, can not move it around and search for tell tale markers and such, nor can we compare it to others close by if need be.
              Hence...the job of the attributer. You can contact whoever is the attributer at each site, and ask them if they can attribute it for you.
              As far as the 'Too minor to list' label. Each attributer will have their own standards. I think that is perfectly evident by what Dr. Wiles lists versus Wexler and Coppercoins. Variety Vista only lists 23 RPMs for this date, coppercoins lists 89, and I don't even know how many are listed by John Wexler.
              Bob Piazza
              Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Thanks Bob.

Comment

I have alot of the Wexler listings but right now I just don't have the time to look. When I get a chance I will try to check the 55-D and this 58-D to what I have for Wexler. MAYBE i can help. Just be patient, with a full time job and my own website. I'm swamped..

Comment

Thank you sir.....I also work full time and going to school again over the age of 50, getting my Data analytics degree. So take your time.
                    Last edited by PNWMAKES; 07-31-2022, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PNWMAKES View Post

Let's see if Bob chimes in. I do have two of these 1958's that are the exact. Again thank you Gary

No problem. We're here to help when we can. As for me, I know busy. I am over 60 and I too have a full time job that is packed with busy. In addition, I have three websites and a few other things to keep me busy the hours I am awake.

I'd take Bob's recommendation. I'd see if CONECA is willing to list it and if so, others will probably cross reference to it.

I personally am the type to where I will send it into my favorite place to get attributed, but I don't need to have it listed on 3+ websites and eat cost on postage, attribution fees and time, when one website is sufficient. That one site should tell me what I wanna hear, and I do not need to hear three-plus places tell me the same thing. If they want photos, I'll email them copies. No issues there. = )

As for Mr. Wiles, I have a similar thought process, but it boils down to this.... If I cannot show the customer a variety or error under the microscope and confidently show them the coin, it's probably too minor to list.

This is why I select CONECA for variety listings, because it is stricter on listings, and they tend to stay away from the minor stuff. BUT, the better stuff is drying up, so I can imagine, they look forward to making some revenue of attribution fees to help administratively, but I too am sure a lull in services, is welcome relief.
                      Last edited by MintErrors; 08-03-2022, 09:35 AM.
                      Gary Kozera

Comment

Great advice Gary I will set them aside until CONECA opens up there attribution service again.

Comment

Working...
                        X