Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New 1987-D RPM with Rotated Doubled Die on Reverse Variety?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 1987-D RPM with Rotated Doubled Die on Reverse Variety?

Hey Guy,
    I have been looking everywhere for this kind of variety, but can't seem to find anything like it. The coin is almost in UNC and is a deep red color. It appears to have doubling on the 'ON' in one and just below the left side of the memorial. Additionally, both side of the memorial are off center and the top right side appears to be wavy. Would love to hear your advice on if this could be a new variety, does it already exist or is it worth the time. Thanks.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.

It really would have to be seen in hand, but this does not appear to be doubling. If it were, and it was this strong, it would show on many more devices. It looks like a plating disturbance to me.
    Bob Piazza
    Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

For what its worth, I did an overlay on my phone and it matches up exact. Bottom of memorial, top of O and the top left of N. Would like to do a better one on my pc when I get home. This will be interesting. Try to get a clear straight on shot of the area. Not a picture of the picture on a screen

Comment

I was thinking along those lines also, but there were a couple of things wrong with that. The first was that the 'arc' of the curved anomaly did not match the O of ONE. The next thing was why would the base of the memorial anomaly not start at the edge of the memorial building?
        Of course, you have the coin in hand. Anything else you can do to help us here would be greatly appreciated. Overlays are great, but not all inclusive so we will do the best we can with whatever you can come up with.
        Bob Piazza
        Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Thanks for your insights gentleman. I hope these photos are what you are looking for. In addition i did align the front and the back and when you look at the back you will see that it isnt straight. Alignment seems to match up.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

This is an interesting one. Waiting to see the outcome.
            (Thanks for the overlay, Jason. Wish I had the talent/knowledge/experience to do them.)

Could the localized doubling have occurred if the working hub was tilted when hubbing the working die?

Comment

I was thinking plating bubble too at first; now I am not sure. I too am waiting on the outcome for this one.

Comment

Been busy. Get a closeup of the area.

Comment

I can’t really get a closer pic of the area unless I take a picture of the screen of the microscope. Otherwise it will be too grainy.

I guess then, should I send it in to Wexlers or pcsg?

Comment

Coin_Pictures_101.jpg

Try taking pictures like this. You can usually get nice ones. ​​

Comment

Working...
                    X