Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2009 (D) Lincoln bicentennial early childhood penny: Bi-lateral Shattered die error?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 (D) Lincoln bicentennial early childhood penny: Bi-lateral Shattered die error?

Hello everyone. I'm a new member and this is my first post. The photos should hold the details when zoomed in on, but if not please, please let me know?

My track recorded for finding and getting mint errors slabbed has not been much of a success. So, I would like to get more knowledgeable advice on it before I make those mistakes again.

I’ve heard of issues with the zinc-Lincoln pennies corroding and would just like to know your thoughts on this one.
    • Is it just a “zinc-Lincoln self-destructing itself”, or is this a legitimate mint-error with market value?
    • Are all the black lines obverse & reverse, indications of more die cracks or breaks or is this just something else?

As a visual note which the photo doesn’t really pull out. When looking at this under a loupe it appears that the upper portion of the front of the cabin is another layer of metal. Also, if design detail differences are worth anything. The cabin corner & fireplace, plus Lincoln’s hair part and shoulder on the obverse, looks very different as well.

I thank you all, for your time with this post.

Attached Files

It all looks like staining to me. Try giving it an acetone bath. I don't think it will hurt it. Submerge the coin and a Q-tip in a small cup of acetone. Let the acetone saturate the Q-tip. Then "GENTLY" wipe surface of the coin with the Q-tip. If it's staining, it might come off. If it's baked into the surface of the coin or if it's die cracks or damage, it won't.

Just my 2 cents!!
    Last edited by HeartWith02; 09-02-2021, 09:57 AM.

Comment

I would agree with staining being the issue here. As HeartWith02 mentioned, it may or may not come off. There would not be any design differences. All of the coins came from the same Master.
      Bob Piazza
      Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

If you use acetone, let's see the after results.

Comment

I thank you all for your input and guidance. And I apologize for my delay. I will upload new pictures as soon as I can.

Thanks again.

Comment

Hello again, I found another post online here with Mike Diamond saying that acetone is not kind to copper plated zinc pennies and leaves them with a different color. And I don't want make anyone not want the coin.
            So, how long do you suggest leaving the penny in an acetone bath? And should it be rinsed after?
            Or would there anything else you would recommend?

Comment

I've used it with no problem. Don't soak it long, just a minute or so. You can rinse it with distilled water. If it was a high value coin I would say don't touch it, leave it alone.

Comment

HeartWith02, thank you for the advice, I will test this acetone treatment on some other similar zinc coins and if or when I do, the acetone bath on this one I will resubmit pictures. Quick question, if the reverse does have a crack on the cabin "top right corner to the top of door and beyond" would you still do the acetone treatment? I've just recently had bad results from PCGS restoration services and I do not want another collectable coin destroyed or rendered back to a none desirable state. So I am going to try and prefect my skills at this first.

Thanks again, greatly appreciate your time and advice.

Comment

Originally posted by KiloBay View Post
                  HeartWith02, thank you for the advice, I will test this acetone treatment on some other similar zinc coins and if or when I do, the acetone bath on this one I will resubmit pictures. Quick question, if the reverse does have a crack on the cabin "top right corner to the top of door and beyond" would you still do the acetone treatment? I've just recently had bad results from PCGS restoration services and I do not want another collectable coin destroyed or rendered back to a none desirable state. So I am going to try and prefect my skills at this first.

Thanks again, greatly appreciate your time and advice.

Yes. An acetone treatment would not bother me on this coin. Keep in mind; it's your decision. Also, die cracks on these modern cents are fairly common and not rare.

Comment

Thank you HeathWith02, great information and I will re-post pictures if I go that route.

Comment

Working...
                    X