Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1955 s DDO Lincoln

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All from the few shown on PCGS. All have the same die deterioration on the 6. Ill make sure to ignore any other post you have. Should be a way to block on here.
    Attached Files

Comment

I appreciate there thoughts an knowledge. But a lot of them forgot where they started as a collector. If every an expert would hav shut them down they probably would never continued collecting. The other this is they are only giving their opinion on what they see from a phone. They should leave it as that as their opinion. They cannot for sure rule it out as a double die by just a photo I post. So any one that has not had this coin in their hands to inspect it cannot truly say it is or is not what I think it could be. I know where the experts about coming from I been there myself. But I learned that you should be open to all possibilities. Last but not least I always expect that what ever I bel that could be something I think that’s it wishful thinking and father opinions to conclude my investigation on what I am researching

Comment

I agree with most of what you said, but I disagree about other things you said. I certainly can, and have on many occasions disproved a variety based on the photos. It appears that is doesn't matter what opinion you get, that you are willing to and will disagree.

All of you supposed to be experienced coin experts and you tell us to go to places to reference what we got and when one person shows something that is different then you all think that the reference must be wrong and need changed. Well if that’s the case then we should throw all the reference material that we have collected and scrap them all and say there are no verities or error coins.
        Not everyone on this forum is an expert. Most people are just collectors, so don't put them down. It is as much your responsibility to do some research on your own. The rest of this membership is not required to do that for you. For your information, I am an expert. I have over 53 years in this hobby, and as such I told you that I disagree with a particular reference, and I was going to do something about that. What makes your comment so toxic is that you think you know better. You don't know me. Because I disagree with a single reference doesn't mean I am ready to throw in all the references. I wrote many of those same references, and things change. You are using this one case to put me and the other members down. That is toxic, and won't be tolerated. You make it seem like I am going to forgo all references and toss them all out? Be serious.

I expect you to act in good faith on this forum. You can take or leave anyone's opinion as just that...an opinion. If you don't like that, there are a few other forums you can visit and try to get them to agree with you. You have no right to preach to anyone here. If you think your coin is special, but can't get anyone here to agree with you, then you can either move on to find someone who does agree, or maybe believe that the other opinions might be correct.

You may also want to read (or re-read) the forum protocol just to refresh yourself on what we expect here...OK?
        Bob Piazza
        Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

You tell me what is actually doubled. What is is that you see two of? This is most likely a partially filled cavity on the die. There are also striking and ejection issues that can lead to anomalies like this.
          Bob Piazza
          Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

All I was saying was it was only their opinion and some should realize that their opinion does matter but you could get people to argue back cause some people believe they know for sure their right and it’s not an opinion to them they think it’s facts and proof from their mouth or some experience. I never said I disagree with their opinion or I was right or they are wrong. I was just trying to get people to try to show proof of their belief what the coins are not just say from my experience. And also I think people including myself need to ask for more information on what they are trying to find out or trying to give their opinion. Like you just did in your last post BOB.

Comment

I certainly don't disagree with some of your rationale. What I am saying is that it is not my job to tell you why something is not what you say it is. I don't have to prove to you that your coin is not what you think it is. It should be that we need to prove that it is what you think it is. My opinions are based on over 50 years of experience. Do I get any credit for that? You need to understand also that I deal with many people on forums, emails, private messages etc. Do you think it is practical that I explain to everyone why their coin is not a doubled die? Most people will accept what I tell them based on my position and expertise. Does it mean I am always right? Of course not, and believe me when I tell you that I would not hesitate for a second (not even a millisecond) to accept that I was wrong and make things right. It does happen.

What upset me most was that you made statements that generalized many people and actions. Because I said I questioned one thing in a reference, you assumed I and all others here were quick to do the same thing and discard that reference as irrelevant. It was like I had waited up for years to do this to just you. What you did do was bring to light a die that I quite frankly, just disagreed with. I wouldn't have even known about it had it not been for your post, so in a way, you brought it to my attention. Being that I am an attributor, there are many instances where I question listings, whether from my own listings, or others. If I disagree with something, I bring it up to other professionals in the hobby and we discuss if my concerns are warranted, If they are, then we change or delete the listing. We do this to ensure you have the best information out there. I should not, and will not be chastised for that.

No harsh feelings ever, but all I ask is that you try to understand my position, and the positions of those trying to help you here.

Also, for your information, the attributer for the 1960D 5c DDO-001 you made reference to has emailed me with his take on this particular die, and after much research has determined that it is indeed die deterioration and not a doubled die. Sometimes it just takes time. So, in this case, I thank you for bringing this die to our attention. It will most likely be removed from the CONECA listing.
              Bob Piazza
              Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

I am glad that me trying to see if I have something help fix a problem with a die that is not an error after all this time

Comment

It can be a big deal to us. Any time you can correct an error in/on the master listings, it helps the hobby. Thanks again.
                  Bob Piazza
                  Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Working...
                  X